Power outages

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon lightly stocked mixed reef and just had a 2 hour power outage. This was honestly a major blessing, I keep buying new frags of all caliber. With out even thinking of one of the most important piece of equipment you can possibly have for long term success BACKUP POWER! Anyway I would like to get some advice on what I should buy, either a simple batter backup or get a generator and what are the most important things keeping life in a reef tank.

Thanks I look forward to hearing from you guys

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back up battery powered airators help in a pinch...but if youve got the money to spend id look into a generator...

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many watts of total power does the tank consume? I know what you mean about the power outages. I have an issue with that living in Florida just with some of the afternoon summer thunderstorms. Unfortunately for me I have one of those neighbors a few house down the street that doesnt maintain his trees around the powerlines. We actually had a bad storm about a year or so ago and because his tree being wet and slapping the lines, one snapped and came down. Being an electrical contractor and newly renovating my home I am installing a 48kva standby generator on my house (200 amps). It will auto start and transfer over automatically during an outage and have my entire house back online in about 30 seconds. Great for when we have those hurricanes that knock us out of power for for a while. I can run close to 2 weeks if I had to with the 500 gallon propane tank in the ground supplying it.

OP
OP
Coral4coral

Coral4coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The battery air pump isn't a bad idea. I think I'm leaning more to a generator, I live on long island ny and we tend to lose power for a couple of days atleast once a year, and after sandy we had no power for over a week I think investing in a generator is my next move thanks for the advice guys

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back