Power supply for 12v 120mm fans

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 120mm computer fans I plan to use to cool down my tank. Fan has old style computer connector 4 pin and something smaller 3 pin which I am not familiar.

I cannot connect them to my Apex because I have older model and I don't want to buy module plus cables for around $200...
So my question is, any budget power supply with voltage regulation to 12v? I don't want to run them full power. Any links from Amazon or Ebay? What do you use?

IMG_20200604_202841.jpg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those connectors shown usually carry both 12v and 5v DC. To wire it up and have variable control you could do something like this for power:

and to control the speed:

Haven't tested these myself but a quick search on Amazon for variable speed 12v fan power supply yielded those results on page one. You'd be using the smaller molex connector on your fans with those.

unitedaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 120mm computer fans I plan to use to cool down my tank. Fan has old style computer connector 4 pin and something smaller 3 pin which I am not familiar.

I cannot connect them to my Apex because I have older model and I don't want to buy module plus cables for around $200...
So my question is, any budget power supply with voltage regulation to 12v? I don't want to run them full power. Any links from Amazon or Ebay? What do you use?

IMG_20200604_202841.jpg
Was thinking about the same but with 80mm fan and was going to print a 3D bracket for it

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also found this power supply on Amazon and it looks cool having 2 outputs. But unfortunately it doesn't have adjusting voltage and this addon you linked costs too much. I would need 2 of them as I can see from the cables input/output.

OP
OP
lost66

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this one

And I hope it will work. I can see it has this green plug I can wire both fans. Fingers crossed because I purchased this item already :)

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut off the 3 pin header, 4 pin molex connector and solder them to a 12v wall wart.

1591379888621.png

(just an example, you may need something with more amperage.)

I have a variable speed 120mm fan for cooling my tank hooked up this way. Its contolled by my reef keeper via one of the power strips.

If you have a soldering iron it'll take you less time than it took me to type this out.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller comes with a 3 way splitter it looks like so you could connect your two fans to that
I also found this power supply on Amazon and it looks cool having 2 outputs. But unfortunately it doesn't have adjusting voltage and this addon you linked costs too much. I would need 2 of them as I can see from the cables input/output.
The controller comes with a 3 way splitter. You could use it to connect both of your fans.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back