Power-up your Acro's..........

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest this read to anyone interested in dosing aminos: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals
Lot's of great info there and should help paint the picture of what aminos mean for corals.

I picked up a bottle and after starting use PE was massive.
And that's exactly what it should do - aminos open up the polyps. Now the question centers around if you have the food in the water column that they need during these periods.

I'm also curious about whether it's better to dose a little each day or a large dose once a week. I feed my coral 2x each week (feeding coral in largish doses a few times a week rather than a couple of small doses each day seems to be pretty common practice), so I'm curious if large doses for a "big gulp" is possibly better than constantly maintaining a level of amino acids available in the system (or vice versa).
Based on the science - daily, and more interestingly, during the start of the photo period.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest this read to anyone interested in dosing aminos: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/3/corals
Lot's of great info there and should help paint the picture of what aminos mean for corals.

And that's exactly what it should do - aminos open up the polyps. Now the question centers around if you have the food in the water column that they need during these periods.

Based on the science - daily, and more interestingly, during the start of the photo period.
Thanks!! very helpful info!

By saying "during the start of the photo period" I wonder if that's during ramp up or at the beginning of peak? I will be reading the article now, so if that's in there feel free to bring on a snarky remark... :cool:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! very helpful info!

By saying "during the start of the photo period" I wonder if that's during ramp up or at the beginning of peak? I will be reading the article now, so if that's in there feel free to bring on a snarky remark... :cool:
Why must you assume a snarky remark from me when you've asked a question before reading a relevant link? :p

It's just a matter of some aminos being most useful during photosynthesis.

Darth_man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started dosing this as well. I've got a 240g with a 140g sump. Dosing at half the recommended dosage so about 40ml each time twice a week.

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently dosing 5ml x3 times a week using a doser. Its been about two week now and I'm not sure if I notice a difference yet.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm through half a bottle:

I've noticed nothing at all. My acros lose PE within the first week and never get it back. I started dosing this and saw, literally nothing at all. How weird?

I take the weekly amount needed and divide it by seven so that I can dose a tiny bit each day. I've tried dosing at night, morning, and late afternoon. Nothing at all.

I do seem to be getting a lot more film algae.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm through half a bottle:

I've noticed nothing at all. My acros lose PE within the first week and never get it back. I started dosing this and saw, literally nothing at all. How weird?

I take the weekly amount needed and divide it by seven so that I can dose a tiny bit each day. I've tried dosing at night, morning, and late afternoon. Nothing at all.

I do seem to be getting a lot more film algae.
if your NO3 is above 1 ppm aminos will have no added effect as there's enough nutrients in the water already. I believe aminos became popular at the same time ULNS got popular.

I have noted that dosing aminos during the illumination period results in an increase in film algae on the glass. Doesn't happen if dosing it during darkness.

But its effect is greater during the illuminated period. http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/what-corals-eat/ says- "Scientists also found that urea and amino acids are more actively taken up during the day and may be integral to building the organic matrix that aids the formation of aragonite crystals, increasing the density and strength of the coral skeleton."

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your NO3 is above 1 ppm aminos will have no added effect as there's enough nutrients in the water already. I believe aminos became popular at the same time ULNS got popular.

I have noted that dosing aminos during the illumination period results in an increase in film algae on the glass. Doesn't happen if dosing it during darkness.

But its effect is greater during the illuminated period. http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/what-corals-eat/ says- "Scientists also found that urea and amino acids are more actively taken up during the day and may be integral to building the organic matrix that aids the formation of aragonite crystals, increasing the density and strength of the coral skeleton."

I keep my nitrates over 4ppm, so maybe that is why I see no effect. So, there isn't any benefit to dosing them anymore?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for those that use AA.

What benefits do you have from adding AA to a nutrient starved (<.5 ppm NO3) system vs keeping some nutrients in the system, like 2-5 ppm NO3 and not using AA?

Why do AA? Because you can not keep nutrients in the system? You choses too? Drove down nutrients purposely to use AA for a reason?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back