Amino Dosing

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some A.F Amino Mix. It says to use when the lights are off.

But this article http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/what-corals-eat/ says- "Scientists also found that urea and amino acids are more actively taken up during the day and may be integralto building the organic matrix that aids the formation of aragonite crystals, increasing the density and strength of the coral skeleton."

??????? :confused:

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly -- If you have nutrients in your system (Nitrate, Phosphate) you will not notice much difference with Aminos, as amino acids are literally just the building blocks of protein -- even in our bodies, protein is made from amino acids.

Nutrients (no3/po4) are broken down organics. All organic life besides plants contain proteins. So If you have nutrients, you already have amino acids.

Second -- people do either or, some do during day, some at night. I personally would do it during the day.

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients (no3/po4) are broken down organics. All organic life besides plants contain proteins. So If you have nutrients, you already have amino acids.
Thanks for the reply. I have a basic understanding of what you say. But if you have fish in your aquarium you'll always have some level of nutrients, even if only trace amounts that aren't detectable using test kits.
At what nutrient level would amino dosing make a difference, in your opinion?

In regards to dosing aminos, day or night, I'm wondering why A.F would suggest nightime when the general rule seems to be daytime dosing?

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming they suggest that because PE is better, and corals feed at night more readily.

But, If you have no3 above 0.5 you probably won't notice anything at all from amino acids.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in my AWC salt mix if I'm worried nutrients are too low.

I use small patches of red cyano that grow here and there to gauge. When my tank looks top clean I add.

I am truely confused by the recommended daily dosing scheduleds but I do it a few times a month.

If I have neglected maintenance then there is no need.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in my AWC salt mix if I'm worried nutrients are too low.

I use small patches of red cyano that grow here and there to gauge. When my tank looks top clean I add.

I am truely confused by the recommended daily dosing scheduleds but I do it a few times a month.

If I have neglected maintenance then there is no need.

You put amino acids in the salt mix, or nitrate and phosphate?

Aminos will be consumed by bacteria in the salt water unless you use it soon after making it.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You put amino acids in the salt mix, or nitrate and phosphate?

Aminos will be consumed by bacteria in the salt water unless you use it soon after making it.
How fast? I mix it in a water change that goes in over 12 hours.

Are you saying those nutrients get metabolized faster than that and can't be utilized in the tank? (Better to batch dose)?

What about adding trace elements such as Red Sea or Triton in the water change mix?

OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you saying those nutrients get metabolized faster than that and can't be utilized in the tank? (Better to batch dose)?

What about adding trace elements such as Red Sea or Triton in the water change mix?
Bacteria consume aminos just as they consume doc, nitrogen & phosphorus.

I think it better to dose aminos into the tank directly so the corals can get it.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria consume aminos just as they consume doc, nitrogen & phosphorus.

I think it better to dose aminos into the tank directly so the corals can get it.
Fair enough. I was trying to avoid having the amionos become nutrient source for a bacterial bloom (as I have seen happen before) by slow dosing it (currently mixed in 3.5 gallons that run in over 12 hours).

I will nix that idea. Any issue with trace elements or even adding extra mg via AWC?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TbyZ

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough. I was trying to avoid having the amionos become nutrient source for a bacterial bloom (as I have seen happen before) by slow dosing it (currently mixed in 3.5 gallons that run in over 12 hours).

I will nix that idea. Any issue with trace elements or even adding extra mg via AWC?
Do a half dose of aminos into the tank, & do it during >>lights out<< to avoid the growth on the glass, if thats a problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know how long the amino acids last, but I wouldn't go longer than you do.

I use new salt water over a month or more, and wouldn't want organic matter put into it. :)

The inorganic trace elements (assuming you really mean trace elements, and not major ions such as alkalinity, calcium, etc.) are probably OK in new salt water, at least for the time you keep it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Magnesium is OK, calcium and alkalinity may not be, depending on the amount.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how long the amino acids last, but I wouldn't go longer than you do.

I use new salt water over a month or more, and wouldn't want organic matter put into it. :)

The inorganic trace elements (assuming you really mean trace elements, and not major ions such as alkalinity, calcium, etc.) are probably OK in new salt water, at least for the time you keep it.
Red Sea 4 part coral colors/Trace elements

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea 4 part coral colors/Trace elements

I would not assume that you can put all of those (especially C and D) into one batch of seawater at anything higher than the rate for that exact amount of salt water (not the aquarium volume). Without knowing exactly how much of what they put in, it's hard to know, but there may be a risk of precipitation.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not assume that you can put all of those (especially C and D) into one batch of seawater at anything higher than the rate for that exact amount of salt water (not the aquarium volume). Without knowing exactly how much of what they put in, it's hard to know, but there may be a risk of precipitation.
That's what I was concerned with. I was thinking I would rotate them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was concerned with. I was thinking I would rotate them.

I'm not sure there's a strong reason to think they need to be added slowly. :)

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish this thread came up before I started dosing acropower two months ago. Been fueling a raging biofilm since starting.

Any use for the stuff, at all? How about soaking filter feeding food in it before target feeding sps? Could do this before a water change.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish this thread came up before I started dosing acropower two months ago. Been fueling a raging biofilm since starting.

Any use for the stuff, at all? How about soaking filter feeding food in it before target feeding sps? Could do this before a water change.

There is a use, very good one. If your system nutrients are very low (<.5 ppm NO3) it will feed the corals. With a system that contains nutrients (>.5 ppm NO3) it is not need because the corals will have a source to make energy.

Alakai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly -- If you have nutrients in your system (Nitrate, Phosphate) you will not notice much difference with Aminos, as amino acids are literally just the building blocks of protein -- even in our bodies, protein is made from amino acids.

Second -- people do either or, some do during day, some at night. I personally would do it during the day.

Well put. Knowledge to my ears! Turn off skimmer to, yes?

Alakai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well put. Knowledge to my ears! Turn off skimmer to, yes?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back