0   0   0
What's the best overall reef dosage you recommend. Amino acids wise

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some A.F Amino Mix. It says to use when the lights are off.

But this article http://successfulreefkeeping.com/learn/about-corals/what-corals-eat/ says- "Scientists also found that urea and amino acids are more actively taken up during the day and may be integralto building the organic matrix that aids the formation of aragonite crystals, increasing the density and strength of the coral skeleton."

??????? :confused:
Dose with the lights on. I dose either right before the lights come on or right after they come on, depending on my work schedule. I feed particle coral foods after lights out though.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use very small doses of aminos daily day or night, I have not noticed a difference. I add phyto-feast and oyster-feast in very low doses 1-2 hours after lights go off and mid-day. I only use a 1/4 of what it says on bottle, you have to figure out what works for you tank, everyone's is different.

Last edited:

a-mused

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in my fairly high nutrient tanks, I've found a significant difference with daily dosing of AcroPower. At one point, I noted that two pocilipora were not colored up as they should be. I recalculated the daily dosing amount for that tank and within two weeks, the flesh colored up to the bright green it should be and the polyps were significantly more extended. This had the additional effect of increasing the rate of growth of the colony. I do spot feed the entire system on a daily basis, usually around peak light. I turn off the return pump, skimmer, and the powerheads while feeding. Once I note that the LPS have consumed their food (if they're being fed pellets, mysis, or anything else significant), I set the powerheads to feed mode (a 15 minute cycle). When the feed mode has completed, I turn the return pump and skimmer back on. The rate of encrusting and growth has increased significantly, and the color is excellent on all the corals. Once a week, I'll add in RedSea Reef Energy A+B.

Daily feed consists of:
*) Fresh salt mix
*) ReefBugs
*) ReefRoids or CoralFrenzy (powder)
*) Polyp Booster
*) AcroPower
*) either TropicMarin Zootonic or TropicMarin Pro-Coral Phyton & Pro-Coral Zooton

All are in small doses, with the weekly recommended feed rate broken into smaller daily feed rate sizes.

When I target feed LPS, Rock Anemone, and MiniMaxi Carpet Anemone (typically 2X-3X weekly), I'll vary between frozen mysis and PE Mysis Pellets. If you haven't given these a try yet on your LPS, I would heartily recommend it! I've never seen a reaction to a food like the LPS, et al. react to the PE Pellets. Tried it out on a whim with one of my local LFS friends and we were both blown away by the reaction of the LPS, et al. They're readily available on Amazon if your LFS doesn't carry it. Pick up the small bag (56g) as a test to prove it out to yourself for less than $10. Even my tubastrea go crazy for these pellets.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in my fairly high nutrient tanks, I've found a significant difference with daily dosing of AcroPower. At one point, I noted that two pocilipora were not colored up as they should be. I recalculated the daily dosing amount for that tank and within two weeks, the flesh colored up to the bright green it should be and the polyps were significantly more extended. This had the additional effect of increasing the rate of growth of the colony. I do spot feed the entire system on a daily basis, usually around peak light. I turn off the return pump, skimmer, and the powerheads while feeding. Once I note that the LPS have consumed their food (if they're being fed pellets, mysis, or anything else significant), I set the powerheads to feed mode (a 15 minute cycle). When the feed mode has completed, I turn the return pump and skimmer back on. The rate of encrusting and growth has increased significantly, and the color is excellent on all the corals. Once a week, I'll add in RedSea Reef Energy A+B.

Daily feed consists of:
*) Fresh salt mix
*) ReefBugs
*) ReefRoids or CoralFrenzy (powder)
*) Polyp Booster
*) AcroPower
*) either TropicMarin Zootonic or TropicMarin Pro-Coral Phyton & Pro-Coral Zooton

All are in small doses, with the weekly recommended feed rate broken into smaller daily feed rate sizes.

When I target feed LPS, Rock Anemone, and MiniMaxi Carpet Anemone (typically 2X-3X weekly), I'll vary between frozen mysis and PE Mysis Pellets. If you haven't given these a try yet on your LPS, I would heartily recommend it! I've never seen a reaction to a food like the LPS, et al. react to the PE Pellets. Tried it out on a whim with one of my local LFS friends and we were both blown away by the reaction of the LPS, et al. They're readily available on Amazon if your LFS doesn't carry it. Pick up the small bag (56g) as a test to prove it out to yourself for less than $10. Even my tubastrea go crazy for these pellets.

I have a similar feed mode created with my APEX. The first 5 min all pumps are off and the skimmer. I add fish food (Rod's) at the very start. After 5 min the powerheads come on low and start moving food around for corals and goes on for 10 min. Then the return comes on 15min after the feed mode began. Skimmer comes on a full 30 min after feeding. No filter socks, this keeps food going through the system feeding all my critters.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back