Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me decide which powerhead to go with. It will be for a 40 gal aquatop Recife ECO cube tank which measures 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H). I want to keep softies and LPS for sure not 100% sure about SPS yet maybe in the future. Having trouble deciding between 4 powerheads, if anyone has experience with the please give me your input.

AI NERO 3
SICCE XSTREAM SDC
Tunze NANOSTREAM 6040
Aqamai KPS 1050gph

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nero is great, I’ve never owned any of the others. The Jebao SLW series is good for a budget option, the Nero is more customizable and is more user friendly, but otherwise they’re pretty similar. If you go with the aqamai, I would get the next bigger one, 1050gph IMO isn’t enough for a 40g tank (especially if you have it on a random or pulse/wave mode. I think the Nero 3 is around 2000gph. Personally, I’m a fan of the more flat/streamlined wave makers like the Nero and Jebao SLW, pumps like the aqamai stick out quite a bit more and just aren’t as minimal looking, it looks almost like an old koralia.

Edit: just realized the aqamai is made by Hydor and is an evolution of the koralia line. I knew they looked similar, lol.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Nero is great, I’ve never owned any of the others. The Jebao SLW series is good for a budget option, the Nero is more customizable and is more user friendly, but otherwise they’re pretty similar. If you go with the aqamai, I would get the next bigger one, 1050gph IMO isn’t enough for a 40g tank (especially if you have it on a random or pulse/wave mode. I think the Nero 3 is around 2000gph. Personally, I’m a fan of the more flat/streamlined wave makers like the Nero and Jebao SLW, pumps like the aqamai stick out quite a bit more and just aren’t as minimal looking, it looks almost like an old koralia.

Edit: just realized the aqamai is made by Hydor and is an evolution of the koralia line. I knew they looked similar, lol.
So even though the tank is basically 2 feet by 2 feet I should go with the bigger Aquamai? I just didn't want a sand storm or blow the coral away....which jebao slw would you recommend? Thanks for the input

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you guys both say Nero how long have you had them? I noticed they only have a 1 year warranty....
I have not owned a Nero 3, but have a Nero 5 that I used for around a year on a 100g and then broke that tank down, its in storage now, but it worked great for the time I used it. I’m now using a Jebao SLW 10 which is (I think 1096gph) on my 28g, and I kind of wish I would’ve gone with the 20. In my tank, the 10 is adequate for a mixed reef, but it’s just about maxed out, I would need to add a second or upgrade to a larger pump if I was doing an sps dominant tank. The thing about both the Nero and the SLW is that the flow is very wide and broad and less direct, so even at a higher gph, it’s less likely to blow your sand around, and since they’re adjustable, you can always turn it down if it is. For your tank, I would go with either the Nero 3 or SLW 20 (maybe even the 30), or around 2000gph.

As far as the warranty, in the US at least, I think you’re going to have a hard time finding anything over a year. I think Amazon might offer an extended warranty, but I’ve always recommended against extended warranties, they’re a cash grab and every consumer protection agency recommends against them. So long as you clean it monthly, they should last for years.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not owned a Nero 3, but have a Nero 5 that I used for around a year on a 100g and then broke that tank down, its in storage now, but it worked great for the time I used it. I’m now using a Jebao SLW 10 which is (I think 1096gph) on my 28g, and I kind of wish I would’ve gone with the 20. In my tank, the 10 is adequate for a mixed reef, but it’s just about maxed out, I would need to add a second or upgrade to a larger pump if I was doing an sps dominant tank. The thing about both the Nero and the SLW is that the flow is very wide and broad and less direct, so even at a higher gph, it’s less likely to blow your sand around, and since they’re adjustable, you can always turn it down if it is. For your tank, I would go with either the Nero 3 or SLW 20 (maybe even the 30), or around 2000gph.

As far as the warranty, in the US at least, I think you’re going to have a hard time finding anything over a year. I think Amazon might offer an extended warranty, but I’ve always recommended against extended warranties, they’re a cash grab and every consumer protection agency recommends against them. So long as you clean it monthly, they should last for years.
Awesome thank you for clarifying that for me! I actually read up on the Jebao SLW last night after you mentioned it and yeah several people suggested to you should go with the SLW 20 instead of the SLW 10....Actually the Sicce has a 5 year warranty which seems nice...

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you guys both say Nero how long have you had them? I noticed they only have a 1 year warranty....
I have only had mine a week, I have no idea on durability. I hope they last because it's the nicest pump I've owned other than the cord in the tank I actually prefer it over the MP40 in my large tank.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have had both Nero 3 and 5. Built well, simple design so should last. Very slim profile in the tank.

just be careful of the min flow, not just the max. For that size I would start with 1 Nero 3, then as your needs expand add a second.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both Nero 3 and 5. Built well, simple design so should last. Very slim profile in the tank.

just be careful of the min flow, not just the max. For that size I would start with 1 Nero 3, then as your needs expand add a second.
Thanks...what do you mean be careful with the minimum flow?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Power heads (dc at least) do not go down to 0 flow. Generally the min flow is about 20% of the max. A Nero 5 may do 5k on the top end, but it will only go down to ~1k. So for your tank a 3 would probably be better.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much help, but I have 2 6040s on a 90 and like them so far (if you’re into cords in tanks). 3 months only though. I like the small footprint.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power heads (dc at least) do not go down to 0 flow. Generally the min flow is about 20% of the max. A Nero 5 may do 5k on the top end, but it will only go down to ~1k. So for your tank a 3 would probably be better.
Oh Okay I see what you mean...yeah I was leaning towards Nero 3 then adding another down the road if I needed to

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any of the others that you can compare the 6040s to?
Can't say that I have, that's why I said it was probably not much help :)

I just remembered Tunze being a brand that was respected when I stopped a decade ago so just went back to it. Not sure if the others are also DC, but I like that part and the fact that it was somewhat controllable and didn't break the bank but I wouldn't weigh my experience with equipment too much as I've just started back into the hobby recently.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say that I have, that's why I said it was probably not much help :)

I just remembered Tunze being a brand that was respected when I stopped a decade ago so just went back to it. Not sure if the others are also DC, but I like that part and the fact that it was somewhat controllable and didn't break the bank but I wouldn't weigh my experience with equipment too much as I've just started back into the hobby recently.
Oh okay thanks for the input....I read some people say they have some Tunze products that are over 8 years old and still running...

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your decision should also be based around whether or not you will Be adding another pump in the future, and if you want them to be paired in the future. Two larger sized pumps might be overkill, while two smaller ones could give you better targeted flow to more areas in the tank.

I have two MP 10’s with wide flow adapters in my 200XL - roughly the size of your tank. If I were to do a single pump only, I would go with a Gere style. A single pump will provide a much wider flow patterns, and most likely suffice for any current and future flow needs In the future, which is an important aspect to think about.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my SLW's. I've got 4 running, a couple of them are over a year old and still working perfectly. They rarely need cleaning, but they are super easy to take apart when they do. I wouldnt hesitate to purchase another. Cant speak on the new wifi or bluetooth controllers though.

Otherwise, I'm a Tunze guy. My 6045 is a workhorse.

luvinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually love my Nero 3's. I was dissapointed initially as only the 5's have the app but all in all I'm pretty pleased with them.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your decision should also be based around whether or not you will Be adding another pump in the future, and if you want them to be paired in the future. Two larger sized pumps might be overkill, while two smaller ones could give you better targeted flow to more areas in the tank.

I have two MP 10’s with wide flow adapters in my 200XL - roughly the size of your tank. If I were to do a single pump only, I would go with a Gere style. A single pump will provide a much wider flow patterns, and most likely suffice for any current and future flow needs In the future, which is an important aspect to think about.
Yeah I was open to adding another pump if needed in the future. I actually thought the gyre style pumps would be too much flow....I thought they were meant for longer tanks(mine is less than 2 feet) from what I remember watching a BRS video but I may be wrong...the tunze 6040 actually provides a gyre mode of some sort

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back