Powerhead for 5g AIO

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Marineland Portrait 5g AIO tank. As of now I do not have any corals in the tank but once I do they will be GSP, Pulsing Xenia, and a Kenya Tree. All the corals considered weeds lol, but I want the flowing corals for the tank. Since the start of the cycle I have had the return pump on as well as an old MP10w on the lowest constant speed setting. The clowns seem to handle it okay, they do hang within a few inches of the pump during the day and are 8-10" away at night. The peppermint shrimp only seems to come out when the pumps are off at feeding time. When the pumps turn back on you can see the clowns get sucked a few inches towards the powerhead but always catch themselves an inch or so away and dont get sucked in. My worry is the powerhead even on its lowest setting is too strong for them. I may just keep it off until I put corals in to see if its even needed for flow. If the stock pump (no idea on GPH) is too low I will see if I am able to get a different one in the back of the tank and not use a powerhead, BUT if I need one what do yall recommend for such a small tank that wont take up a ton of real estate?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I definetely think a mp10 is overkill for a 5G. A Hydor KorAlia nano should do the job nicely or even just upgrade the return pump and maybe get a random flow nozzle. Pulsing Xenia is going to look best in very low flow otherwise it’s not gonna pulse.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I definetely think a mp10 is overkill for a 5G. A Hydor KorAlia nano should do the job nicely or even just upgrade the return pump and maybe get a random flow nozzle. Pulsing Xenia is going to look best in very low flow otherwise it’s not gonna pulse.
Yeah I agree, a RFG will probably be more than enough.

The info on the MP10 says its good for a 2.5g tank lol. I went ahead and bought a Sicce Micraplus pump (158gph) and a CPR Aquatic Eductor. Hopefully with the 2 thatll work. My only concern is I wont be able to use high enough flow for the eductor to work. Many of the similar items on BRS said a min flow rate of 120gph but I dont think the overflow on the tank can handle over 100. Everything I have found says 75gph max, but im thinking thats just Marineland playing it safe.. If the eductor doesnt work Im going to buy the Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector to just get different water movement. That works with as little as 80gph and a "random" flow pattern would be better than nothing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info on the MP10 says its good for a 2.5g tank lol. I went ahead and bought a Sicce Micraplus pump (158gph) and a CPR Aquatic Eductor. Hopefully with the 2 thatll work. My only concern is I wont be able to use high enough flow for the eductor to work. Many of the similar items on BRS said a min flow rate of 120gph but I dont think the overflow on the tank can handle over 100. Everything I have found says 75gph max, but im thinking thats just Marineland playing it safe.. If the eductor doesnt work Im going to buy the Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector to just get different water movement. That works with as little as 80gph and a "random" flow pattern would be better than nothing.

the mp10 can be run one 1% so I guess that’s how they justify that claim...could you use an mp10 in your tank, yes most definitely, can you achieve the same results with a $20 RFG, I think so, you would also be taking up less space with a RFG than the mp10 which is a consideration too.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the mp10 can be run one 1% so I guess that’s how they justify that claim...could you use an mp10 in your tank, yes most definitely, can you achieve the same results with a $20 RFG, I think so, you would also be taking up less space with a RFG than the mp10 which is a consideration too.

I had it laying around from my 40b I had set up year ago so I figured id give it a shot. Hopefully the eductor does the trick. The Hydor RFG is about as big as the wet side of the MP10 but at least it would be in the upper corner and not the side of the tank.

OP
OP
booth2010

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the smaller Hero pump?
I have not heard of those, I will have to look into them. I figure if they can make a return pump thats 2"x1"x1.5" that only like 50-75gph there should be a small power head with low flow lol.

Or did you mean Nero? Those are still too powerful. Pretty much same specs as MP10 as far as minimum flow.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of those, I will have to look into them. I figure if they can make a return pump thats 2"x1"x1.5" that only like 50-75gph there should be a small power head with low flow lol.

Or did you mean Nero? Those are still too powerful. Pretty much same specs as MP10 as far as minimum flow.

even the Nero 3?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Jebao Sow-4 in my 5g. I use the lowest wave settings and it works great.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Jebao Sow-4 in my 5g. I use the lowest wave settings and it works great.
I know this thread is a little old but I just started researching powerheads for a 5g that I started a few weeks ago. I came across the Jebao line of powerheads and specifically the sow-4. Can you tell me: 1. the size of the portion that's in the tank, 2. is it low profile, 3. do you run one or two and 4. does it come with the controller or is that separate? I like these because multiple powerheads can be synchronized but they look big. My tank's dimensions are 16"L x 6-1/2"D (it's an AIO so this is the display portion of the tank) x 11"H. I also found the Sicce Syncra Voyager Nano which looks very small.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little old but I just started researching powerheads for a 5g that I started a few weeks ago. I came across the Jebao line of powerheads and specifically the sow-4. Can you tell me: 1. the size of the portion that's in the tank, 2. is it low profile, 3. do you run one or two and 4. does it come with the controller or is that separate? I like these because multiple powerheads can be synchronized but they look big. My tank's dimensions are 16"L x 6-1/2"D (it's an AIO so this is the display portion of the tank) x 11"H. I also found the Sicce Syncra Voyager Nano Sicce Syncra Voyager Nanowhich looks very small.
Comes with a controller

One pump

It’s small as far as powerheads go but not MP10 small.

Here it is in a 5g column

B31080C1-0A6B-4539-847B-1CC54F3081AA.jpeg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comes with a controller

One pump

It’s small as far as powerheads go but not MP10 small.

Here it is in a 5g column

B31080C1-0A6B-4539-847B-1CC54F3081AA.jpeg
Thanks for this!! That looks good. Not obtrusive like I thought it might be. Is that a starfish on the front of your tank (left side of pic)? If so what kind and how big do they get? I really want one of those in my tank but kept reading they get too big for a pico.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this!! That looks good. Not obtrusive like I thought it might be. Is that a starfish on the front of your tank (left side of pic)? If so what kind and how big do they get? I really want one of those in my tank but kept reading they get too big for a pico.
It’s an asterina starfish. That is as big as it gets. They are a hitchhiker starfish. Some people consider them pests and others do not. I have had them 10 years and they eat algae for me. Some people claim they nibble on zoas but I have never had that problem. There are many kinds of asterina so likely just some good and some bad ones out there.

And yes normal starfish besides asterina and micro brittle would get too big and die in a pico. In fact many starfish struggle in even larger tanks.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an asterina starfish. That is as big as it gets. They are a hitchhiker starfish. Some people consider them pests and others do not. I have had them 10 years and they eat algae for me. Some people claim they nibble on zoas but I have never had that problem. There are many kinds of asterina so likely just some good and some bad ones out there.

And yes normal starfish besides asterina and micro brittle would get too big and die in a pico. In fact many starfish struggle in even larger tanks.
Thank you very much!! My tank is too new for them but something for me to consider down the road. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back