Powerhead placement to avoid bare spots

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 92 gallon tank, 39 gallon sump, with 4 power heads. Caribsea sand bottom. Looking for best placement and power level to give good flow and minimize bare spots on the sand bottom.

2 mp40s
2 octo pulse 2s

I initially had the two mp40s at the back at each end of the tank and the two octoreefs on the each side. Unfortunately, this gave me a big bare spot in the sand in the front even with the power dialed down.

I don’t have clearance to put any power heads at the back of the side (see picture - the tank has about a half inch clearance on each side). Any ideas on best configuration for power heads and how much power.

I currently have them all mounted on the back, but not sure I love that

any suggestions?

4D21180A-A5C6-4ADD-9082-C795D6A64529.jpeg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/3 of the way down, pointed slightly upward to increase surface agitation. Least that's how I arrange them.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter the direction the powerhead is facing, if there isn't another opposite it to create an apposing current, then that single powerhead is just going to create a linear current. This current will then carry sand away with it, that is unless the current is slow enough for the size of your sand. In your case you are saying that even on low flow its still carrying the sand with it. So I would say put two on each side facing each other and that is your best bet to prevent the sand from being blown back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back