Powerhead placement to avoid bare spots

  • Thread starter Thread starter benmed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

benmed

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2022
Messages
285
Reaction score
204
Location
illinois
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 92 gallon tank, 39 gallon sump, with 4 power heads. Caribsea sand bottom. Looking for best placement and power level to give good flow and minimize bare spots on the sand bottom.

2 mp40s
2 octo pulse 2s

I initially had the two mp40s at the back at each end of the tank and the two octoreefs on the each side. Unfortunately, this gave me a big bare spot in the sand in the front even with the power dialed down.

I don’t have clearance to put any power heads at the back of the side (see picture - the tank has about a half inch clearance on each side). Any ideas on best configuration for power heads and how much power.

I currently have them all mounted on the back, but not sure I love that

any suggestions?

4D21180A-A5C6-4ADD-9082-C795D6A64529.jpeg


image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
 
1/3 of the way down, pointed slightly upward to increase surface agitation. Least that's how I arrange them.
 
It doesn't matter the direction the powerhead is facing, if there isn't another opposite it to create an apposing current, then that single powerhead is just going to create a linear current. This current will then carry sand away with it, that is unless the current is slow enough for the size of your sand. In your case you are saying that even on low flow its still carrying the sand with it. So I would say put two on each side facing each other and that is your best bet to prevent the sand from being blown back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new