Powerhead placement

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank. Powerhead is in upper left corner... there’s a bad dead zone right below it where those 3 corals are. Where should I put it? Should I get another one?

82D71BC5-11A4-460E-8F54-D8D4BE5E312C.jpeg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see the tank that can’t benefit from two or more power heads. IMHO they are best placed about 1/3 of the way down and angled up and in towards the center.

What size tank? You should aim for 30x + for in tank circulation. As an example, my 120g SPS dominant mixed reef uses 2 x 250 gyres, 2 x koralia 1500’s on the back and a single koralia 1150 on one side that is there just to prevent dead spots behind the rocks. I figure total flow is ~ 60-70x

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think adding another small powerhead opposite size of tank would be best option... anyone agree or disagree?

Totally agree. Not only will it give you better flow, but should also break up the continuity of flow, giving the corals a little more turbulence. They just love turbulence. :)

OP
OP
austenreefer

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to see the tank that can’t benefit from two or more power heads. IMHO they are best placed about 1/3 of the way down and angled up and in towards the center.

What size tank? You should aim for 30x + for in tank circulation. As an example, my 120g SPS dominant mixed reef uses 2 x 250 gyres, 2 x koralia 1500’s on the back and a single koralia 1150 on one side that is there just to prevent dead spots behind the rocks. I figure total flow is ~ 60-70x
So I should move it to the bottom and angle it near the center?

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A practice I have when checking water flow during my tank cleaning is to blow off detritus from the rock with a turkey baster & seeing how detritus moves in order to check if my pumps need cleaning, replacing or redirecting. It will also show you where the dead spots are by observing the detritus move throughout the tank & spotting areas where it remains suspended, that would be a dead spot. If there is a dead spots, it would be best to place a power head opposite to that area & aimed at the dead spot but making sure it doesn’t interfere with other power heads flow. Hopefully that makes sense & it helps.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back