Powerhead Suggestions

Ironclad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I need some help choosing a couple of powerheads for the new 90-gallon reef tank that I am going to set up. I am brand new to the hobby and am overwhelmed and want to make sure I have all the info I need to make a good purchase. I would like DC powerheads that I can control and maybe hook into a controller in the future such as APEX. I am not really interested in AI or MP powerheads due to the INSANE price. It seems really hard to justify the cost with not that much more of a benefit. I am planning on only having softies and LPS in this tank as I'm not really interested in SPS. Thank you in advance for your help!!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I need some help choosing a couple of powerheads for the new 90-gallon reef tank that I am going to set up. I am brand new to the hobby and am overwhelmed and want to make sure I have all the info I need to make a good purchase. I would like DC powerheads that I can control and maybe hook into a controller in the future such as APEX. I am not really interested in AI or MP powerheads due to the INSANE price. It seems really hard to justify the cost with not that much more of a benefit. I am planning on only having softies and LPS in this tank as I'm not really interested in SPS. Thank you in advance for your help!!
For hooking up with an Apex, I am quite a fan of the wee Reef Octopus ones although still a bit pricy! Have a look at them though, you can often find good deals on eBay etc. :) They can be adjusted in direction also which is handy.

Alternatively, I think some of the Maxspect are compatible with the Apex as well but I would have to check.

Get your rock scape sorted out in the tank, then you can start to assess what sort of flow is needed- and where.

Luckily, it's rarely about the price but using the "right tool for the right job" :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back