Powerheads for a 6’x2’ tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO offense - you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Agree - put some powerhead on the back of your tank - there is no right or wrong answer - except - either re-design your sides - or use the back. Not trying to be rude - but it seems like you're looking for the 'perfect' answer - and there is none. You are likely to have problems with this setup - either way - I.e. how to clean the side glass - you cant use magnets, etc etc. Trying to catch sick fish, etc. Perhaps - consider - the perfect tank position (in the alcove) - is not perfect) - Additionally - you could consider a smaller tank - custom built perhaps?

OP
OP
Rob.In.AZ

Rob.In.AZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
NO offense - you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Agree - put some powerhead on the back of your tank - there is no right or wrong answer - except - either re-design your sides - or use the back. Not trying to be rude - but it seems like you're looking for the 'perfect' answer - and there is none. You are likely to have problems with this setup - either way - I.e. how to clean the side glass - you cant use magnets, etc etc. Trying to catch sick fish, etc. Perhaps - consider - the perfect tank position (in the alcove) - is not perfect) - Additionally - you could consider a smaller tank - custom built perhaps?
None taken, and I hear ya. The kinds of things you are bringing up are exactly the kinds of things I want to consider now...not once the tank is in place, full of water, and it's a real PITA to make changes.

I'm considering all options, and the tank has been up for a little over 8 years. The last time I made any serious changes to the setup was probably 5.5-6 years ago, so I'm not up on the latest and greatest everything that's available.

Still kicking around the closed loop idea, really like it, but need to work out if it makes any sense at all. Concern is the existing holes would restrict the flow too much...which means multiple Vectras or Varios and still needing additional pumps to supplement...which if that's the case, why bother with the CL?

Kinda leaning towards a pair of 6105s or 6255 in the back corners, with some 3/4" educators on the sump returns and seeing where that gets me.

Considering creating a sealed trim in the alcove using 1x and some thin sheets of ply to account for the mess. If I go forward with this plan, I'd probably paint or put on black vinyl on the ends. Glass can be cleaned with a non-magnetic scraper believe it or not.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back