Powerheads in sump?

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it common practice to have powerheads in the sump? I’m dealing with detritus buildup and am getting ready to have macro algae (chaeto) in the fuge.

Do people put powerheads in the sump to deal with this?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen reefers put low end powerheads in their sump, but it is usually to turnover chaeto. I see no problem with doing it for detritus, just make sure it is a powerhead with a very low flow rate.

U

User1

View Badges
Is it common practice to have powerheads in the sump? I’m dealing with detritus buildup and am getting ready to have macro algae (chaeto) in the fuge.

Do people put powerheads in the sump to deal with this?

It depends really. Is it common? I don't think so, not in the US at least. Europe, I think it may be more common. There is one additive based method that I'm aware of, DSR, that uses one. They call it a power filter and it can be in the sump or display. Usually in the sump though. Power head rated at 2000 or 3000 gph with a wool pad around it or filter floss. I put a link explaining it below.

More or less the idea is to keep the sump free from most junk that can build up in there. The power head is sucking it in and the filter floss is holding it. Remove, rinse or replace, place back in, and you are done. I understand why he does it and it makes sense. However, I do not do it as of yet.

You can search for glenf - his tanks are utterly amazing. Really - he has a gift :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no particular purpose for a power head in the sump.

Back