Prazi/fluke question

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm treating a pair of clowns with prazi and some antibiotics. Day 1 and day 7 are prazi days and every 3 days I am redosing the antibiotics with a water change. Does the water change effect the prazi treatment?

Does prazi need to be in the water column the entire treatment or only for the initial days it is dosed?

Thanks for your help!

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm not very used to use prazipro, but this post might be helpful to you:

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel breaks down after a few days. The repeated dosages act as a way to catch any eggs not hit the first time(s).
I guess I was worried if they would mature and lay more eggs without prazi in the water. Your first sentence answers that though.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was worried if they would mature and lay more eggs without prazi in the water. Your first sentence answers that though.
It can happen, like any medication it isn’t perfect and some will survive. The repeated doses will ensure all flukes are caught. Dosing 9 days apart interrupts their life cycle the best.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can happen, like any medication it isn’t perfect and some will survive. The repeated doses will ensure all flukes are caught. Dosing 9 days apart interrupts their life cycle the best.
I have actually already dosed prazi twice. Day 1 and day 3. Tomorrow will be day 6 and I will need to water change and do antibiotics again. Another prazi dose here is useless right? I can just wait another 3 days for the final antibiotic dose and redose prazi then.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm treating a pair of clowns with prazi and some antibiotics. Day 1 and day 7 are prazi days and every 3 days I am redosing the antibiotics with a water change. Does the water change effect the prazi treatment?

Does prazi need to be in the water column the entire treatment or only for the initial days it is dosed?

Thanks for your help!
Incorrect recommendation for prazi
You want to remove carbon and do an initial dose known as interval and allow that dose to work for 8 days. Day 9, do a water change then apply one more interval for 8 days then add carbon. Increase oxygen with air stone as Prazi slightly reduces both oxygen and appetite. If changing water, you are interrupting the dosage as there is no way to measure loss of agent other than to add a couple of M/L
Twice a day is a No.

OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to remove carbon and do an initial dose known as interval and allow that dose to work for 8 days. Day 9, do a water change then apply one more interval for 8 days then add carbon. Increase oxygen with airstone as Prazi slightly reduces both oxygen and appetite
So I need the prazi in the water for the entire treatment duration? I can't do a water change in the middle even if it were for water parameter reasons?

I didn't dose prazi twice in one day. I dosed prazi day 1 and then day 3 I did about a 50% water change and dosed again. The only reason I did that dose is because I was changing water and redosing my nitrofurizone/kanaplex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Schulks

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to remove carbon and do an initial dose known as interval and allow that dose to work for 8 days. Day 9, do a water change then apply one more interval for 8 days then add carbon. Increase oxygen with air stone as Prazi slightly reduces both oxygen and appetite. If changing water, you are interrupting the dosage as there is no way to measure loss of agent other than to add a couple of M/L
Twice a day is a No.
I thought I read from a decent source I could use these antibiotics with prazi but now I can't find that source and I'm reading the opposite online. I am probably just going to quit the prazi treatment and stick with antibiotics.

Though the fish have been behaving fine, eating well and active. I've already done about 5 days of prazi, nitrofurizone/kanaplex in water, and feeding metroplex.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back