Prazi for Hector's goby

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I wasn't planning to get another Hector's, at least not for a good long time, but my LFS had an increasingly sad looking one who'd been there since 1/10, and I wanted to at least give him a chance with the pods in my tank.
Added him yesterday 1/28 and he's doing well so far, picking at things, has pooped, and his belly has filled out. He's still very scrawny but seems to have a good appetite.

I've noticed him flashing on the rocks one time, and he seems like he's yawning a lot, so I was thinking I should go ahead and dose prazi for flukes? Is this species sensitive to it?
I assume the prazi won't hurt the pod population in the tank?

It's a fluval evo 13.5, and I've added an airstone to the back chamber already so that should help with oxygenation.
There is also a firefish in the tank who was added on 1/20 and doing great so far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,

I wasn't planning to get another Hector's, at least not for a good long time, but my LFS had an increasingly sad looking one who'd been there since 1/10, and I wanted to at least give him a chance with the pods in my tank.
Added him yesterday 1/28 and he's doing well so far, picking at things, has pooped, and his belly has filled out. He's still very scrawny but seems to have a good appetite.

I've noticed him flashing on the rocks one time, and he seems like he's yawning a lot, so I was thinking I should go ahead and dose prazi for flukes? Is this species sensitive to it?
I assume the prazi won't hurt the pod population in the tank?

It's a fluval evo 13.5, and I've added an airstone to the back chamber already so that should help with oxygenation.
There is also a firefish in the tank who was added on 1/20 and doing great so far.
They are tolerant of Praziquantel and with fish like these , I often recommend dosing at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prazi is in, fingers crossed! This is my first time using meds since back in my freshwater days when it was mostly snake oil that really didn't do much.
When I do the follow up dose in 8 days do I still dose 80% or should that be a full dosage?

I haven't actually noticed any flashing since the one instance but both fish have yawned a few times. No spots on either and great appetites, hopefully I'm right in thinking it's flukes.

The Hector's picked at some frozen mysis today and I've got frozen pods to offer as well, so I'm optimistic he'll prevail.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back