prazi pro half life / removal

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

can I leave prazi pro in the qt and let it break down? what's the half life time? does it have to be removed via water changes (bottle implies similar)? does carbon work to remove it in a pinch?

I'm wondering why because, i dosed my first round today, i saw a positive reaction and my wrasse stopped suffering. to get the hatched eggs, if any, I'm assuming that a 1-week redoes should be sufficient and is the right time to do it.

so, after this 1-week redoes + 48 hrs, at 9 days~, the Prazi pro should not be entirely active anymore? I want to remove the current fish at this time, and add a second round of new fish to prophylactically prazi them treat them as well. is it safe to do so at this time or should implement carbon or something to remove residual prazi + toxins. (my qt setup is tidal 55 filter, on a 10-gallon tank, pvc, air stone, and sand bin)

thanks

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello,

can I leave prazi pro in the qt and let it break down? what's the half life time? does it have to be removed via water changes (bottle implies similar)? does carbon work to remove it in a pinch?

I'm wondering why because, i dosed my first round today, i saw a positive reaction and my wrasse stopped suffering. to get the hatched eggs, if any, I'm assuming that a 1-week redoes should be sufficient and is the right time to do it.

so, after this 1-week redoes + 48 hrs, at 9 days~, the Prazi pro should not be entirely active anymore? I want to remove the current fish at this time, and add a second round of new fish to prophylactically prazi them treat them as well. is it safe to do so at this time or should implement carbon or something to remove residual prazi + toxins. (my qt setup is tidal 55 filter, on a 10-gallon tank, pvc, air stone, and sand bin)

thanks
Praziquantel, and the solvent in Prazipro is rapidly broken down by bacteria. The first dose is assimilated in about 36 hours, the second dose in perhaps 24 hours, then each successive dose gets eaten faster by the bacteria. After about five or six doses, the bacteria eat it faster than it can really even work.

I only do water changes after Prazipro if I’m dosing a reef tank and nutrients building up is an issue.

Jay

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do we reset the bacteria and make prazi effective again at the 5/6 dose mark?
Praziquantel, and the solvent in Prazipro is rapidly broken down by bacteria. The first dose is assimilated in about 36 hours, the second dose in perhaps 24 hours, then each successive dose gets eaten faster by the bacteria. After about five or six doses, the bacteria eat it faster than it can really even work.

I only do water changes after Prazipro if I’m dosing a reef tank and nutrients building up is an issue.

Jay

do you mean successive as in back to back? (1 to 2 day dosing?) if redosing is not successive (back to back), but done weekly does this let the bacteria die back due to no prazi (food) in water?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do we reset the bacteria and make prazi effective again at the 5/6 dose mark?

do you mean successive as in back to back? (1 to 2 day dosing?) if redosing is not successive (back to back), but done weekly does this let the bacteria die back due to no prazi (food) in water?

No - the bacteria is really odd - the population grows in the presence of praziquantel, but then, between doses, the bacteria must either rest, or shift to another food, because with subsequent prazi doses, it is right there, ready to consume it. I've had tanks that still had problems with prazi-consuming bacteria, months after their previous dose.

Here is an early study:

Jay

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do in these cases if you need to dose more Prazi in the future? It seems like this would decrease the efficacy of Prazi each time you dose it.

In the tanks where you had issues, how did you know you had issues? Are you able to measure or estimate the concentration of the Prazi over time?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do in these cases if you need to dose more Prazi in the future? It seems like this would decrease the efficacy of Prazi each time you dose it.

In the tanks where you had issues, how did you know you had issues? Are you able to measure or estimate the concentration of the Prazi over time?
The bacteria does eventually grow to a level that completely degrades the prazi so fast, that it doesn’t have time to work. The symptoms of this are simply prazi treatments that don’t work. People have misinterpreted this as “prazi resistant flukes”, but that isn’t the case. In the study, they were able to measure the prazi in the water and demonstrate its degradation by bacteria.

What I do when I have prazi resistant bacteria in a quarantine tank is to sterilize it before its next planned use OR switch to a different fluke control method such as hyposalinity.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back