Prazipro dosing

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue tang that is possibly showing symptoms of flukes. Lots of flashing/scratching that has progressively gotten worse over the past 2 days. No visible signs of anything externally, and eating well. No other fish are showing any irregular behaviour.

I have an 80 gallon DT with with a lot of rockwork and a 20 gallon sump. I know there's not 100 gallons of water. My best guess is 70-80 gallons total volume. Is it safer to estimate lower or higher for the correct Prazi dosage?

Last edited:

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO medicine chemicals are the worst. What other fish are around? Can you quarantine?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a couple words that are not standard - 'blue tank', you probably should be using a hospital tank - for whatever (if possible). There are some calculators out there that estimate this.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO medicine chemicals are the worst. What other fish are around? Can you quarantine?
Clowns, flame hawk, watchman goby, tiger pistol shrimp, lemonpeel angel, Springeri damsels, assorted mushrooms, soft and lps corals.

Quarantine isn’t an option at this point, nor is a hospital tank.
There are a couple words that are not standard - 'blue tank', you probably should be using a hospital tank - for whatever (if possible). There are some calculators out there that estimate this.
Blue tang. Hospital tank isn’t an option. I’ve seen the calculators, but obviously I can’t precisely determine how much water the rock displaces. That’s why I was wondering if it’d be better to estimate high or low on the Prazi dosage.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clowns, flame hawk, watchman goby, tiger pistol shrimp, lemonpeel angel, Springeri damsels, assorted mushrooms, soft and lps corals.

Quarantine isn’t an option at this point, nor is a hospital tank.

Blue tang. Hospital tank isn’t an option. I’ve seen the calculators, but obviously I can’t precisely determine how much water the rock displaces. That’s why I was wondering if it’d be better to estimate high or low on the Prazi dosage.
I would estimate higher than lower. There is no real answer to this question. however - if you estimate lower - it will not solve the problem - but there may be some negative side effects

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue tang that is possibly showing symptoms of flukes. Lots of flashing/scratching that has progressively gotten worse over the past 2 days. No visible signs of anything externally, and eating well. No other fish are showing any irregular behaviour.

I have an 80 gallon DT with with a lot of rockwork and a 20 gallon sump. I know there's not 100 gallons of water. My best guess is 70-80 gallons total volume. Is it safer to estimate lower or higher for the correct Prazi dosage?

Are you looking at using Prazipro, or do you have praziquantel powder?

I'd treat for 70 gallons, figuring the sump is half full and the tank probably has 15 to 20% rocks by volume.

To dose prazi, you want to add extra aeration, then dose the tank. After 8 days, change 20% of the water and redose. The second dose is to try and catch any new flukes hatching from eggs left from the first dose.

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking at using Prazipro, or do you have praziquantel powder?

I'd treat for 70 gallons, figuring the sump is half full and the tank probably has 15 to 20% rocks by volume.

To dose prazi, you want to add extra aeration, then dose the tank. After 8 days, change 20% of the water and redose. The second dose is to try and catch any new flukes hatching from eggs left from the first dose.

Jay
Prazipro. I was planning on splitting the difference at 75 gallons, but 70 sounds good. I plan to run my skimmer without the cup and add an air stone as well.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this sufficient aeration? Too much?

I’ll post a YouTube link momentarily. I can’t tell if the video displays with my phone.

Here’s links to the aeration, and the best I can do for the Tang’s current behavior.

Aeration
Blue Tang

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is this sufficient aeration? Too much?

I’ll post a YouTube link momentarily. I can’t tell if the video displays with my phone.

Here’s links to the aeration, and the best I can do for the Tang’s current behavior.

Aeration
Blue Tang
Aeration is very sufficient.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a difference a day makes. Tang is almost at 100% normal after about 12 hours in Prazipro. Went from hiding most of the time to actively moving about. Scratching/flashing almost constantly to almost nothing. Thankfully appetite was never an issue, and still eating well although all inhabitants seem to have slightly less of an appetite.

I do wonder if there's still a bit of irritation. Almost immediately after I got him, he'd hang out with the Springeri damsels and they appeared to be pecking at him, and he didn't seem to mind. He did the same a couple of times with my Watchman goby. In fact, he did it again today just before I shot the video below and the goby grabbed him by the face and tried to pull him into his lair. The tang didn't seem terribly alarmed, but he broke free within 2-3 seconds and went about his business. Would a Skunk cleaner be a good idea to assist in removing residual pests? Or would waiting longer be a better idea?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I continue to aerate after dosing?

#jayhemdal
#vetteguy53081

Typically three days. There is a bacteria that eats the solvent used in prazipro, and that takes up oxygen out of the water.

What are your plans for a second treatment?

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically three days. There is a bacteria that eats the solvent used in prazipro, and that takes up oxygen out of the water.

What are your plans for a second treatment?

Jay
Wednesday is day 8. 20% W/C, dose again, wait 8 days and another 20% W/C. Then run the tank as normal unless there's some reason to dose a 3rd time.

Should I run some carbon after treatment is done to help with removal of any excess "stuff" related to the treatment and not running a skimmer cup for two weeks?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wednesday is day 8. 20% W/C, dose again, wait 8 days and another 20% W/C. Then run the tank as normal unless there's some reason to dose a 3rd time.

Should I run some carbon after treatment is done to help with removal of any excess "stuff" related to the treatment and not running a skimmer cup for two weeks?

Prazi breaks down rapidly in aquariums due to bacterial action, along with the glycol solvent used. Carbon won't remove the nutrients that result from that - water changes and skimming will though.

Jay

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi should be pretty safe, but your skimmer will go nuts... need to add aeration to compensate for that, also probably a bit extra to be honest with prazi in the system.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 129 75.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back