Praziquantel Powder And Trifecta

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in an unusual situation.

I’ve got 7 fish in qt. 1 of them is displaying a whole pile of symptoms. Clamped gill on one side. White growth on mouth (suspected fungus), plus suspected Flukes. Stringy white poo noticed today for the 1st time.

To further complicate things, i don’t have, and can’t get, the meds you guys all have. I do have the following medications on hand:

- General Trio Powder which consists of the active ingredients for what you guys call the trifecta. Kanamycin Sulfate (instead of Kanaplex), Metronidazole (instead of Metroplex), and Nitrofurazone (instead of Furan-2).

- Praziquantel Powder (instead of PraziPro)

The fish are almost through copper and, a few days ago, I added the General Trio Powder described above.

My plan was, once copper was done, to keep up with the General Trio Powder and add Praziquantel Powder. According to my research, this is safe to combine. My issue is the dosing and water change directions on the meds don’t really work together.

Anyone combine these two powders (not the name brands you guys use, the actual exact meds I’ve described above)? How’d you manage the dosing and water changes?

Anyone have experience feeding pure Praziquantel Powder with food?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so say you've done a water change we'll just say 20 gallons. If you're using prazipro and metroplex; prazi calls for one teaspoon for 20 gallons so you would just add the teaspoon. Metroplex requires 125 milligrams per 10 gallons so you would add 250 milligrams of metroplex to the tank.

Also fungal infections I believe are fairly rare in marine tanks and is almost always bacterial infections (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so your medication should treat the infection on your fish's mouth. Also the prazi will eliminate flukes with ease. if you think the flukes are really bad and you're still treating with antibiotics do a freshwater dip and most of the flukes on the body should come off (flukes in the gills do not come off with freshwater dips however).

Just stick with what you are doing and you should be fine

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so say you've done a water change we'll just say 20 gallons. If you're using prazipro and metroplex; prazi calls for one teaspoon for 20 gallons so you would just add the teaspoon. Metroplex requires 125 milligrams per 10 gallons so you would add 250 milligrams of metroplex to the tank.

Also fungal infections I believe are fairly rare in marine tanks and is almost always bacterial infections (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so your medication should treat the infection on your fish's mouth. Also the prazi will eliminate flukes with ease. if you think the flukes are really bad and you're still treating with antibiotics do a freshwater dip and most of the flukes on the body should come off (flukes in the gills do not come off with freshwater dips however).

Just stick with what you are doing and you should be fine

Thanks for the feedback. Lots to think about here. I’ve never had a fish display so many symptoms.

I had tried a freshwater dip it was inconclusive because he only lasted 2 min. Matched ph and temp. I’m hoping the antibiotics will help him out.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what type of fish? did you raise the ph of the water for the freshwater dip

Royal gramma.
No. I use RO water and i tested the tank and the dip water before dipping. They were the same ph. I floated a bad of fresh RO water in the tank to match the temp too.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually flukes do come off of gills in freshwater I think I read a thread about it somewhere! I would believe it is bacterial as well instead of fungus but let’s see what @HotRocks has to say!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the "trifecta" with praziquantel powder.

Just dose the prazi powder right after a WC, it does most of its work in the 1st hour in the tank and its certainly safe to do a WC 24 hours after the dose is administered.

I would wait to dose the prazi until you have removed the copper. I hate mixing the two. Its just extremely risky from a bacterial bloom standpoint.

Also make sure you have super heavy aeration at the surface of the water level when combining all of these meds. That is the key is keeping enough oxygen in the water when combining medications.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the "trifecta" with praziquantel powder.

Just dose the prazi powder right after a WC, it does most of its work in the 1st hour in the tank and its certainly safe to do a WC 24 hours after the dose is administered.

I would wait to dose the prazi until you have removed the copper. I hate mixing the two. Its just extremely risky from a bacterial bloom standpoint.

Also make sure you have super heavy aeration at the surface of the water level when combining all of these meds. That is the key is keeping enough oxygen in the water when combining medications.

Awesome thanks. My plan was to wait till copper is done (just a few days away), transfer to new qt to ensure no copper left, keep the trifecta going, and add prazi.

My concern with the water changes is that the praziquantel powder requires daily water changes of 25% and then dosing. Thats gonna remove 25% of the praziquantel. No? What about this:

I mix up a giant batch of RO water w salt and dose it w prazi. Every day, I do a 25% water change, add water from my giant batch, and re-dose the trifecta as per the instructions.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. My plan was to wait till copper is done (just a few days away), transfer to new qt to ensure no copper left, keep the trifecta going, and add prazi.

My concern with the water changes is that the praziquantel powder requires daily water changes of 25% and then dosing. Thats gonna remove 25% of the praziquantel. No? What about this:

I mix up a giant batch of RO water w salt and dose it w prazi. Every day, I do a 25% water change, add water from my giant batch, and re-dose the trifecta as per the instructions.
Prazi should be a single dose. Wait 5-7 days and do a second dose.

Did you mean the nitrofurazone requires daily WC's?

Reducing the Prazi concentration when doing the water changes for the other medications is not a big deal after 24 hours because the work is done.

Back