Pre Build Thread Sanity Check

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are going to build a house with an 300g peninsula aquarium build into the wall with the most part of the tank in the technical room behind it. The dimensions of the DT is 180x90x70 cm and the technical room is 320x200 cm.
I would like some feedback on the design. The sump will be an open design made of thick glass (15mm).

The flow of the water will be:

Fleece filter
Saltwater tank for mixing (with ATO and also the option to disconnect it from the system)
Protein skimmer
Refugium
Closed loop
Redudant DC return pump
Calcium reactor

Would you change the order of the flow?

There will also be:

Heating
Led light
Diesel generator

The technical room will be build with ventilation, drain in the floor and build to withstand the salty moist.

I know most people will say RODI is missing, but there are no chemicals in the water here. The water is oxidised and filtered in sand from the utility company. The water is pretty hard but thats it. I dont like the process of RODI as it requires twice as much water and benificial minerals and calcium will also be removed.

The closed loop will run on two independant circuits for easy maintainance and redudancy.
I also know many people will say closed loop is a relic of the past. I like the fact that it can be hidden in the tank behind the aquascape and with 4 flow diverters on each circuit and a large DC pump for each circuit I believe I can create plenty of flow.

Heating is throuh the air to water heat pump with a coil of pex. The same heating system is also used for the floor heating in the house.

I know a diesel generator is a bit much. But its 10% of the total cost of the aquarium and it will probably last for 30 year.

I didnt make my mind up about monitoring but I think GHL will be my choice..

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I would look at a fleece roller (or two). And I'd still look at an RODI system (you can run the waste through a second system to significantly improve your efficiency).

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myself, I would look at a fleece roller (or two). And I'd still look at an RODI system (you can run the waste through a second system to significantly improve your efficiency).

By fleece filter I did mean fleece roller.. Sorry if that wasnt clear.
Can you elaborate what you mean by a second system?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loops will always have a place if you ask me! I’d rather have a single pump and hidden plumbing then forking out a couple grand on vortec’s lol.. I wish I had time to drill my new peninsula before I filled it back up… I find it challenging to get flow across a 3x6 tank from a single end.. I got it working now but man I have everything cranked to max! Lol

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By fleece filter I did mean fleece roller.. Sorry if that wasnt clear.
Can you elaborate what you mean by a second system?
You can run two RODI systems in parallel, with the waste water from the first being put through the second. This produces twice the RO water for the same waste water (BRS did a video on this).

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loops will always have a place if you ask me! I’d rather have a single pump and hidden plumbing then forking out a couple grand on vortec’s lol.. I wish I had time to drill my new peninsula before I filled it back up… I find it challenging to get flow across a 3x6 tank from a single end.. I got it working now but man I have everything cranked to max! Lol
Thats exactly the thing. You lose some pump pressure in the head height with a closed loop but you have the flow in the middle of the tank where you want it with a closed loop.
With a powerhead/gyre you have to move a lot of water before everything has flow. People end up with 5-6 crazy expensive powerheads for a 300g peninsula style tank and a higher monthly electrical bill.

Easier maintainance, lower TCO and you more pleasing to the eye. Whats not to like.

I know its debatable but I have made up my mind about this part. When people try to convince me otherwise all I hear is la-la-la-la.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly the thing. You lose some pump pressure in the head height with a closed loop but you have the flow in the middle of the tank where you want it with a closed loop.
With a powerhead/gyre you have to move a lot of water before everything has flow. People end up with 5-6 crazy expensive powerheads for a 300g peninsula style tank and a higher monthly electrical bill.

Easier maintainance, lower TCO and you more pleasing to the eye. Whats not to like.

I know its debatable but I have made up my mind about this part. When people try to convince me otherwise all I hear is la-la-la-la.
I’m right there with ya! Just set up a 270…
D927FAB1-A6CA-43BB-BB21-44D55F184FAE.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even tho i have never ran one, I agree a closed loop has there place. even more so on large peninsula tanks.
I wanted a 300 gal pen. but setting up a 200 ( was not sure my floor could support the extra weight. ) sounds like a good plan to me.

is this going to be a reef? maybe a frag tank in the fish room. also how about add a display fuge there fun and useful :)

OP
OP
Impetus

Impetus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be a reef tank.

I also consider a frag tank in the technical room..
On each side of the DT in the technical room there is 70 cm availible space.

Its just a lot of plumbing with the closed loop. I dont know if its too compact?

I also thought about the refugium being visible from the living room, but as a scandinavian I think I will go with the minimalistic look in the living room.

But I still consider that part :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back