Pre-coral lighting hours & intensity?

KnightlyBuzz

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2020
Messages
165
Reaction score
28
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No coral yet, I’m planning on Montipora, so about 300 PAR is what I’ve read.

But my question is, before I add coral should I run the lights at something like 150 PAR for 6 hours a day? Just to reduce algae growth? Or go ahead and run 300 PAR for 8 or 9 hours, even though I don’t have any coral in the tank yet?
 
Really either way is fine. I will say on a new tank i prefer to run the lights where i want them prior to coral for awhile. It helps me see what i am dealing with in regards to "the uglies" and either deal with it or wait it out prior to adding the coral.
 
Really either way is fine. I will say on a new tank i prefer to run the lights where i want them prior to coral for awhile. It helps me see what i am dealing with in regards to "the uglies" and either deal with it or wait it out prior to adding the coral.
When you say “for a while”, do you mean a few months or a week or 2?
 
If there’s no coral it really doesn’t matter. Run them how you visually like it.

You CAN run your proposed intensity and spectrum before you get corals to gauge the algae growth you can expect. With the light levels I like for sps and the nutrient levels I like to keep for coral colors and growth, I have to scrub the glass about every 2-3 days to keep it clear. Hair algae and cyano on the rocks is just something younger tanks under 2 years old tend to get a lot, regardless of light and nutrient levels
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new