Pre treated dry rock ??

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! Started a new tank added dry rock the first week just white plain rock but then I went and bought a 7 pound “pre treated live rock” my lfs told me that’s the name of it basically he said it’s been cycling for a month and should have pods and all that good stuff....it’s still white like my other rock it’s just been cycling in their water ....my question is will this help cycle quicker ? Or does it not really matter?

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the rock right in the middle if that helps...just alittle confused because that big rock was more money then all my other pieces

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 47

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also cost me 60 bucks just for this one rock which I thought was pretty pricey? Did I get ripped off lol
60 bucks for one rock?

I would call it a rip off, yes.

It has bacteria seeded on it so it should help spread that but we have no idea how honest he is about it being a month, the rock looks identical to your other rocks so it hasn't been in a tank for long. It's not like quality good stuff like real live rock with coralline and dusters and such.

A bottle of bacteria is only $15.

I bought a coralline encrusted rock with a small LPS coral on it at my LFS for $8. It was a chunk of gulf live rock from the ocean.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s also like this stringy stuff coming off of it idkkk if you can see in the pic any ideas ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 bucks for one rock?

I would call it a rip off, yes.

It has bacteria seeded on it so it should help spread that but we have no idea how honest he is about it being a month, the rock looks identical to your other rocks so it hasn't been in a tank for long. It's not like quality good stuff like real live rock with coralline and dusters and such.

A bottle of bacteria is only $15.

I bought a coralline encrusted rock with a small LPS coral on it at my LFS for $8. It was a chunk of gulf live rock from the ocean.
dang :/ I thought I got ripped off also and you just confirmed it ...man some lfs around me are so grimey what a rip off

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hefty? Do they sell by the pound?
They sell it by the pound but it was in a huge tank in the dark with just a filter ....but the other rock I got that wasn’t in water it was just white dry rock ...so the guy told me If I added some of this it would help cycle quicker since this rock has been in water for over a month....ugh this hobby has some shady people in it sadly

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was fish in the tub ...from what I could see maybe 3-4 fish but it was hard to tell bc there was like 100 rocks in there lol but I definitely saw fish also
Well that's good, at least they didn't sell you rock that was just wet. It should help your cycle along quicker, but next time a bottle of some kind of bacteria will get the job done for less. Those rocks can hold a decent amount of water which I'm sure contributed to it weighing enough to be $60

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell it by the pound but it was in a huge tank in the dark with just a filter ....but the other rock I got that wasn’t in water it was just white dry rock ...so the guy told me If I added some of this it would help cycle quicker since this rock has been in water for over a month....ugh this hobby has some shady people in it sadly

Like I said, it will add some bacteria. It's just that a bottle of bacteria is $15 and works even faster :)

I mean think if you could just buy dry rock... soak it for a month and sell each one for $60 instead. What a money maker!

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, it will add some bacteria. It's just that a bottle of bacteria is $15 and works even faster :)

I mean think if you could just buy dry rock... soak it for a month and sell each one for $60 instead. What a money maker!
I added dr tims live bacteria before I got this rock ...should I add another bottle ?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry man, but you don't know if it was in the water for a month or only since yesterday. Even at one month, there is not much benefit, you would have been better to just pay for dry rocks.

Anyway, its too late now, but always double and triple check everything you hear in this hobby, especially when its a sales guy talking (and I'm a sales guy).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more to bio diversity than bacteria in a bottle. Order a small pack of Gulf Live rock - it is a better spend than nearly anything else. You don't need much, so buy their small pack 10 or 20 lbs is fine.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these normal parameters for a new tank? Was lazy didn’t wanna re write but I think that forum is dead

Attachments

• 4819E2B4-5980-48BC-A4AB-C07C8AD8F561.png
    4819E2B4-5980-48BC-A4AB-C07C8AD8F561.png
    335.6 KB · Views: 27

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%

Back