Precipitation event advice

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matter of fact the line from dose container to doser pump was the one that got disconnected. Which means the running doser pump sucked open air every time it ran. I wouldn’t expect that open air in my apex doser cabinet to have any more Co2 than ambient room air.

So my NaOH changed to sodium bicarbonate after sucking in air?

So yes, running air over a solution of sodium hydroxide will eventually convert it to mostly sodium bicarbonate and I'd expect precipitation.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yes, running air over a solution of sodium hydroxide will eventually convert it to mostly sodium bicarbonate and I'd expect precipitation.

good enough for me. Sodium bicarbonate conversion murder mystery solved. But we never figured out the killer (why alk didn’t spike). :)

maybe it precipitated too quickly to raise the alk when it hit the water. Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good enough for me. Sodium bicarbonate conversion murder mystery solved. But we never figured out the killer (why alk didn’t spike). :)

maybe it precipitated too quickly to raise the alk when it hit the water. Thanks

I don't know. That precipitation reduces the dissolved potency, but the bicarbonate solids can dissolve to provide alk.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley and Experts here. I have a little older soda ash solution around 2 gallon - which even though was in a closed container i see has precipitation - and rightfully so. is it still safe to dose (just want to get whatever best i can get out of it before cleaning the container and starting a fresh batch.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley and Experts here. I have a little older soda ash solution around 2 gallon - which even though was in a closed container i see has precipitation - and rightfully so. is it still safe to dose (just want to get whatever best i can get out of it before cleaning the container and starting a fresh batch.

Yes, it is fine to use. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back