Precipitation help!

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone can help me with my precipitation problems. I see so many pics of aquariums with crystal clear water on this site. I am currently having a problem with precipitation in my tank. At first I thought it was microbubbles but now know better. I have tiny particles floating around in my water kind of makes it look like it is snowing. My tank is about 4 mths old right now. I use Reef Crystals for my sw mix. I always have some made up in advanced just in case of emergency. So when I do water changes the sw has been made up for probably a week and it is kept up at 79 degrees at 1.025sg. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes in my 29 gallon biocube. I do not dose with anything. I use purigen and chemipure elite with biomedia. Other than that no other chemicals or additives. My ammonia is 0, nitrates are 0, nitrites 0, ph is at 7.8, 11dkh hardness, and calcium is at 440ppm. My tank has live rock and live sand in it. Unfortunately I do not have a test kit for magnesium yet I will pick one up later on today. Does anyone know why I am having this problem and how I can make it stop. I also use ro/di water that I make myself and test with a tds meter. The meter reads 0 on my new water. Thanks for any help.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its precipitation because your calcium and alkalinity are staying at high levels.

OP
OP
saltyphish

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my glass is covered with tiny pods. Did not know they explode though.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a normal tank to me. No precip, your numbers are in line, and not out of whack. Just sounds like debre floating around. You have a sump with socks to catch this stuff? Or perhaps throw on a mechanical filter to catch all the stuff once in awhile.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back