Precipitation when mixing new salt (Fritz blue)

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz Blue bucket for about a year now and has always mixed up clear and fast. I recently mixed up a barrel and saw alot of white powder on my mixing pump and around the surfaces of the container, and the water never got fully clear. I had a heater in the drum and assumed it got too hot and caused the precipitation, so I just discarded that drum of saltwater and made up a new drum. Without a heater, I mixed up the salt, and the next day saw the same thing. White powder on the pump and water not fully clear, but not quite as bad as the last batch with the heater.

Anyone else having this issue? it's only been recent for me. It does seem I mixed a bit too much salt in, but only got 36-36.5ppt with a refractometer. I don't think that much would cause precipitation.

Would water with some precipitation be safe to use, or am I more likely to screw up my water parameters by using it?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz blue also; I can only add a little bit of salt at a time or else it will precipitate. I also mix while the water is cold for the same reason. It’s annoying but this salt is cheap for me to buy locally so I’ve stuck with it.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz blue also; I can only add a little bit of salt at a time or else it will precipitate. I also mix while the water is cold for the same reason. It’s annoying but this salt is cheap for me to buy locally so I’ve stuck with it.
I do mix it up fairly slowly, using a 1 cup scoop and waiting a minute or so in between scoops. Typically takes me 20-30 minutes to add all of the salt. It's just weird that I've not had this issue before now, even using the same salt and mixing method.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is odd your methods haven’t changed but the mixing is. Is it a new box of salt? I always mix my bag around before using as well, I’ve read that the elements can settle within the bag. Sounds kinda silly but maybe it’s true?

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'll check the alk next time and if it's good, I'll use it. Was a bit frustrating to see seemingly out of nowhere and did make me feel I needed to discard 50 gallons of new water, but good to know it should be fine for future batches.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back