Precipitation ?

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having precipitation issues and have read to stop dosing 2 part and let alk and cal come down and settle. Should I stop dosing my alk also or can I continue dosing alk?

PeterC99

Living The Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep dosing the Kalk. You have to keep an eye on the ALK. If you keep the pH at higher levels, Alk swings are even more detrimental.

I recently had an issue with my 2 part precipitating. Are you using ESV B-Ionic 2 part?

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep dosing the Kalk. You have to keep an eye on the ALK. If you keep the pH at higher levels, Alk swings are even more detrimental.

I recently had an issue with my 2 part precipitating. Are you using ESV B-Ionic 2 part?
No red sea, I ordered some brs today.
I've been trying to get my Alk up and would dose 33ml of the red sea check it 4 hours later and no change. My cal is 430 and mag is 1400 alk is constantly dropping. Dosing kalk through stirrer replacing ato. I noticed my sand getting real clumpy but never thought precipitation. I would consider my tank a low demanding tank it's the 900xl red sea which is 240 total gallons and have made 10 fist size lps and 10 frag sps and couple leathers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe your precipitation issues?

If you want to stop or slow precipitation, this is my general advice:

If you are concerned about abiotic precipitation, then ways to stop it are:

1. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
2. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
3. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
4. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you describe your precipitation issues?

If you want to stop or slow precipitation, this is my general advice:

If you are concerned about abiotic precipitation, then ways to stop it are:

1. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
2. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
3. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
4. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was getting the build in sump where I would dose, put a powerhead in there to circulate water and thought I was good, I was struggling to keep the alk up, did a water change/sand vacuum and notice all the sand behind and around rocks was very clumpy. So

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is day 2 of not dosing 2 part, still dosing 5700ml of kalk and alk has now dropped to 7.3 and mag is still 1350-1400 and cam is 420. Should I still wait for everything to stabilize before dosing. I thought kalk is supposed to keep your levels up? My tank isn't very stocked.

Attachments

• 20210512_172232.jpg
    20210512_172232.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 22

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today is day 2 of not dosing 2 part, still dosing 5700ml of kalk and alk has now dropped to 7.3 and mag is still 1350-1400 and cam is 420. Should I still wait for everything to stabilize before dosing. I thought kalk is supposed to keep your levels up? My tank isn't very stocked.

The high pH of kalkwasser is a big driver of precipitation. I'd stop dosing it if precipitation is a problem.

It keeps levels up if you dose enough, and not if you do not.

OP
OP
B

Btreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ph is around 8.0 at night and goes up to 8.2 during the day. That's with kalk running 24/7. Yeah I can't dose anymore or I would be putting in more then It evaporates. What would be the ideal #s you like to see with ph, cal,mag and alk. Thank you by the way for your help, really do appreciate it

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back