Preconfilter with Red Sea Reefmat 1200?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone currently using the Preconfilter 6.7" rolls with a Reefmat 1200? Steve didn't seem real sure it would work, which would leave me to believe it may not have been tested much yet. I've found threads on the Reefmat 500 and other brands, but nothing on the 1200, except for someone who was planning on doing it.

Brandon

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the first roll of my precon 80 micron filter fleece. Bought a bulk of 5 so it came out to about $20 a roll. It is a lot denser than the ~200 micron Redsea OEM fleece. It’s like comparing a bounty dryer sheet (oem) to a thinner but solid sheet of filter paper.

Can’t tell if it filters better but you assume it does will smaller micron ability.

My one roll of the oem filter lasted me 4 weeks. Will see how long these preconfilters last vs OEM. This is about 35m longer but with smaller filtering capacity, it might only last as long. Too bad they don’t make 200micron…

Things to consider:
1. Buy the 3D printed roller reducer from member @mackdave here as the precon filter ID is larger at 2”.
2. Make sure your water level is at least 2” above the water inlet. I found this out when I was using the legs on the ReefMat and it only brought the water level to right above the water inlet and this causes great water pressure on the inside pushing out of the Reefmat. So when the fleece is dirty, it causes it to ‘sticks’ like glue to the 3 sides of the filter causing the motor not to be able to roll up the fleece, causing a jam. Once I removed the legs and water pressure is slightly better in the inside and outside of the Reefmat, that the motor was able to pull up the fleece!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about half-way through my first roll. It is more fragile than the red sea material for sure, but only enough to matter while I'm trying to install it. It has worked flawlessly otherwise.

Brandon

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using it on my two 500's and I love them. They work the same and last longer.

I just need to figure out how to make the reefmat understand how long these rolls are.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using it on my two 500's and I love them. They work the same and last longer.

I just need to figure out how to make the reefmat understand how long these rolls are.
Excellent. I will give these a shot once I run out of my supply of RedSea rolls. Thank you for the experimentation!

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My result so far with this first roll of preconfilter is opposite of @Enderg60 above. Based on twice the length usage daily ~78inches with the preconfilter 80microns VS. the Reefmat ~daily 35inches OEM 200micron filter, my guesstimate is that it’ll only last around ~20days VS the Reefmat oem filter at ~30days since it filters at a finer micron/clogs quicker. Will update with more results after the first roll or two

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My result so far with this first roll of preconfilter is opposite of @Enderg60 above. Based on twice the length usage daily ~78inches with the preconfilter 80microns VS. the Reefmat ~daily 35inches OEM 200micron filter, my guesstimate is that it’ll only last around ~20days VS the Reefmat oem filter at ~30days since it filters at a finer micron/clogs quicker. Will update with more results after the first roll or two
Okay good to know. Hopefully over time we'll get a better sense of the precon filter are a viable alternative. My tank is too new to provide reliable data (I only have two fish in a 140 gallon system).

espinobj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the preconfilter. Where can I get the reducer for 2-1.5”?
Maybe @mackdave? I saw you were name dropped earlier

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 114 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back