Predator fish for 40g or less?

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40g reef tank with live rock, corals, a snowflake eel, and the cleaning crew (temporary 'cuz they get eaten). I have a fascination with predator tanks, I used to do flowerhorn and south american cichlid tanks and would like to try to pull of a 40g reed predator tank. I will be upgrading somewhere around 55-70 gallons but I am not sure when. I am interested in anglers, wrasses, eels, sharks, octopuses, mini rays, everything in between and would like to know what I can fit in this tank. If you know some types that can fit in my tank or better yet you have a 40g or under predator tank I would love to here your 2 cents, thank you! (I am not a million air so plz try to keep the fish under $50!)

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaf Fish
Flame Hawkfish
BloodRed Hawkfish
Arc Eye Hawkfish
Falco Hawkfish
Longnose Hawkfish
Red Hawkfish

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf lions could be pulled of in a 40 gal. Fuzzys are really cool :) you would have to keep a close eye on nutrient levels though.
I have/had a 24 gal predator tank and had a snowflake eel and a valentini puffer in it. The puffer died recently so now there's just the eel and a yellow tail blue devil damsel. Valentinis are my favourite fish and I'll probably never own another tank without one. I highly recommend them!
Hawkfish as RM suggested have awesome personalities too!
Also some of the smaller scorpionfish could do well in a 40 :)

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I have a fuzzy pair or just one in a 40? I would love to also add and angler or scorpionfish. If there is any type if mini ray or shark that could fit that would probably fish up the list unless I get a wrasse instead.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally only do one fuzzy dwarf in a 40. Any more than one along side the eel could put too much strain on your filtration system.
What is your filtration system by the way? Most predator tanks need excessive filtration to cope with the bioload.
Sharks and rays need huge tanks unfortunately. Even the smallest species should have 200+ gallons with a lot of swimming room.
Scorpions could do well in a tank with the snowflake :)
Anglers really need a species only tank. Unfortunately they can (and will) eat a fish up to twice their size or die trying. Whatever is too big to eat will likely eat the angler, or pick at the lure to the point of stressing the angler to death.
Predator tanks are the most difficult to stock in my opinion, but definitely the most fun!
If your into the more ambush predator type of fish, I would personally stick with scorpions, lions, and eels with maybe a puffer for some activity and colour.
Perhaps rayn could jump in with some scorpion suggestions :)

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, defiantly changes my options. I currently have 3 HOB filters but they are going to be replaced with a 20g sump any day now. I am not sure about the gph but I am aiming for 400-500. I have one powerhead and I am about to add one or two more. I have a pretty large pump that is 900 gph or so (I am estimating and will measure the gph when I get the correct tubing) with a split valve that I can use as 2 powerheads for the tank or just a really strong return pump.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need a bigger tank.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your eel is going to out grow your 40 for sure, but doable for a while if you got s small one.

A pair of fuzzies will work, but you will need to keep up on water quality. They are messy guys.

Leaf fish are cool fish, but very tricky to get weaned onto frozen food. I had three at one and only got one to convert, the other were net fed. A cockatoo is a great bottom dweller and resembles a leaf fish a lot. You are a bit limited on scorps do to size, but if a upgrade is coming a Inimicus is cool. There are a few that stay smaller, I will work on searching a few out for you.

Are you looking for swimming preds or more the scorp realm?

OP
OP
R

reptileguy112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little of both actually, when I clear a space I want at least a 70g. I will check a couple lfs for some of these fish and maybe some unlisted ones. I really want a sea hare but it would probably die in my tank because I don't have a bunch of algae.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fu are awesome, but sometimes tricky to get to live.

Sea ghoul, or Choridactylus multibarbus. An amazing ground dwelling scorp. Tricky to get eating, but doable. The colors some of these have are amazing.

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A yellow bellied hamlet is going to be on divers den tonight. It is a cool looking fish and stay about 5 inches.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back