Pregnant Wheeler's Goby?

Greckel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a bonded pair of Wheeler's Gobies. I have noticed that over the last week or so one of them is getting much larger. This is particularly interesting this week because they have been fed significantly less than normal. None of my other fish (including the other goby) are exhibiting signs of fattening due to feeding, which makes me wonder whether this particular goby is (1) the female and (2) carrying eggs. I do not know how to sex gobies, and actually have no knowledge of their breeding habits.

20180401_122404.jpg

I do not have any reason to suspect it is a disease as none of my other fish have ever exhibited diseases and the Goby otherwise is eating, mobile, and exhibiting normal behavior. Parameters:

Temp: 78F
PH: 7.8-8.0 (a little lower than I would like, normally keep at about 8.2)
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm
Salinity: 1.025
Calcium: 410 ppm
Alkalinity: 6.7 dKH

Any insight appreciated!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching. I'll be interested to compare with my stonogobiops nematodes (shrimp goby) where I'm still not sure of sex of them, but one goes through fat phases, and i suspect lays eggs in the tunnel somewhere.

Boosted2kSi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update?
I have a goby thay is doing the exact same thing and cant figure it out. It looks like its about to pop anyday and its the only one in the tank. I have a diamond goby and a fringe fin goby as the lfs called it but I cant find any info on fringe fin but its the one fattening up big time.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm late to the show. But that goby in the picture is what is called gravid. She isn't pregnant she is developing eggs. To be deposited somewhere and fertilized. I am not familiar with wheeler gobies. Some gobies mouth brood (by the male) or others lay in a cave and the male guards the eggs or they both do.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back