Preliminary build discussion.

Slarty Bartfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm returning to the hobby after a 15+ year hiatus and it's changed dramatically. I've created a rough outline and potential shopping list,but I'm not in any particular hurry to get things going and there are so many resources that it's hard to keep things straight, so I thought I'd get advice and opinions from people far more knowledgeable of the current state of technology and techniques.

First I've decided (unless it's ill-advised) to go with a glass cages custom tank 72x36x24 (270 gallons) peninsula, low iron on front, back, and 1 side. Euro braced with black trim, and seam guards (Built for longevity).

For the overflow I'm leaning towards the external coast to coast to maintain full tank capacity and allow placement of powerheads on both short sides. I'd appreciate any input on this.

I think at this point the questions start flowing (pun intended) under the build options it provides for 4 holes, 2 drain and 2 return (not sure of the diameter as i dont want to bug Joe with questions and details this early in the process). Would this be sufficient capacity for filtration (im assuming 1 inch bulkheads)? I assume the goal is 10x turnover? If yes ok, I can move on. If no, would the glass be compromised by 6 holes in a 36 in space despite being a shallow overflow? Next option is sump, I think I'll approach that later in the process, probably going to go with gc again or build it myself.

That brings me to custom light mounts, I feel like there are plenty of options for mounting making this an unnecessary expense that might actually get in the way.

As far as the starboard bottom, one of my favorite part of previous reef tanks was my pistol/gobie inhabitants so 100% going with sand. It's a bit early but my plan is to chisel out some Marco foundation rock to make tunnels for the little critters and maybe 2.5-3 inches of sand (mix of special grade and ocean direct) but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The next questions are about the stand and possibly the canopy. First, I know I don't want an open metal stand, this is the focal point of the living room and primary entertainment so minimizing noise where possible is important. It's on a concrete slab so weight isn't an issue. My questions then become what height would be good for seated viewing, my inclination is a 36" tall stand, but will that constrict access to the sump making maintaining and/or replacing hardware too difficult? Would it be too short for a good skimmer? I don't know any of the dimensions of the (potential) sump, most importantly I suppose, the capacity. Is a glass top and canopy a good or bad idea?

Oh yeah, ultimately the aim is sps dominant but not exclusive. I'm leaning towards 4 or 5 radion xr15, split between pro and blue, with 2 AI blade coral glow/or grow 66 (I have no idea how they'll look). Will they have enough spread to cover the 36" width? Will that get too hot in a canopy and therefore it would be a waste of money? Would cooling fans in the canopy be an option? Is a screen cover a better option than glass and polycarbonate or will the skimmer and sump provide sufficient gas exchange?

Should I get the glass first and build piece by piece from there, or the other way around. Especially considering the process of building the aquascape and cycling dry rock. I have so many questions about every part of the process and no longer have access to the people who were my mentors in the long long ago.

Other than that is hardware I can touch on later mostly choice of brand and a bit of sizing. Seems a bit easier to understand. Skimmer, roller, powerheads etc...

I'm not entirely opposed to starting with something more simple like a standard 125 but I'd prefer the buy once cry once approach.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, insights, or opinions, feel free to ask questions if it will give you any insights to my intention or the build.

Sorry for the long winded crazy intro, I just don't even know where to start or what the best approach is and it's driving me nuts.

OP
OP
S

Slarty Bartfast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could really use advice and guidance. I'm thinking glass first and build off that. I guess I'll understand if I have to go it alone but I was hoping to avoid as many mistakes as possible.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back