"Premium" nem pack from LA

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't need another clownfish, but I have been after all three of the ones in the picture for a while, so I grabbed this deal from LA. Yea, I get it, there is a disclaimer that there are "variations" in the species, so basically not WYSIWYG, but the description was white tip, red tip watermelon, and green tip ultracolor. Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful nems. But do you think I should inquire about the substitution they made for the green tip ultra? Also, would both of the last ones be considered "watermelon"?

Picture on website:;
Screenshot 2021-07-09 132542.jpg

What I got:

20210709_131309.jpg 20210709_131326.jpg 20210709_131331.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should buy from local reefers instead. Better health, cost and no shipping involved.

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the color temp difference between your photos and their photos, it's impossible to say. You'd need to really compare it under the same color temp lighting their photos are in.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say with the lighting. Turn off the blues and look under whites. I'll say the last one looks almost opposite coloration. Pink tips greenish base. The other two could be close.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the color temp difference between your photos and their photos, it's impossible to say. You'd need to really compare it under the same color temp lighting their photos are in.

Not really. That wont make a pink tip turn green, but I know it can make orange look red and vice versa. I did try it under different lighting though. I have a wide range available in the actinic range to work with.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. This wasn't intended to be a complaint, just sharing with others what they might expect if not buying WYSIWYG. I'll just keep my eye out for the neon green tip one locally and stick to WYSIWYG from here on out. LA has great customer service BTW. I don't know why they get a bad rap. I've had worse experiences on Ebay.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks right to me... and way better then I would have expected form LA.

Looking at the website, it does not say green tip ultra. It says "ultra tip" which could mean anything. They probably consider the last one 'ultra tip' since the tips are a different color then the base.

Included are three premium color varieties of Bubble Tip Anemones (White Tip, Ultra Tip, and Watermelon Red Tip) and a captive-bred Ocellaris Clownfish or Captive-Bred Percula Clownfish.

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks right to me... and way better then I would have expected form LA.

Looking at the website, it does not say green tip ultra. It says "ultra tip" which could mean anything. They probably consider the last one 'ultra tip' since the tips are a different color then the base.

Included are three premium color varieties of Bubble Tip Anemones (White Tip, Ultra Tip, and Watermelon Red Tip) and a captive-bred Ocellaris Clownfish or Captive-Bred Percula Clownfish.

Thanks for pointing that out. Ultra is in the eye of the beholder. Looking closer, it does have a pretty unique pattern on the tentacles. They actually look like little watermelons.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of the "green tip ultra"
That’s why they put variations of bubble tips and not wyiswg. They basically can send out all the bad ones and claim they are ultras. Unfortunately something they do

OP
OP
ClownWrangler

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. I was nervous at first because they were all randomly deflating for a couple weeks, but they look to be settled in now. I'm very satisfied with this.
20210725_183243.jpg
But the clownfish wants nothing to do with them. Go figure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back