Prep For First Urchin?

Urchingirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is my first post on this forum. I'm going to be an urchin owner today! Any last minute prep I need to do before my urchin arrives? Thanks so much!

OP
OP
Urchingirl

Urchingirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other inhabitants! I do have plenty of algae in there, and the tank is about 6 months old. The urchin is a pincushion urchin.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can just tell you what I did with mine, as I have heard they can be tricky to get through acclimation.

I floated the bag in the tank to bring it to temp, then slow dripped it for over an hour and a half, making sure its slow and the water is at least doubled/tripled in volume by the end…then I floated the container again to bring the temp back up again as the slow drip would have lowered the temp.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a long spine urchin for 2 years now. It came as a 3mm baby urchin and is now 3" dia. It survived cycle.
My last live rock came with 2 rock borers and 2 decorators. I've lost one decorator a while back. No idea why.
So far I'm not seeing them as being that difficult.
Just let algae grow on the back glass. It will eat that and longspines love coraline algae.
Mine appears to know if it come near the surface I will also feed it nori. I slide it carefully between the glass and it's spines.

kyle38

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5464.jpeg Woke up to mine with a new favia frag as a hat this morning. Pincushion is a great mower they get to be a good size though he’s a little bulldozer breaks branches off the birds nest and also eats coralline and GSP. Also have a tuxedo that’s a model citizen and a pencil urchin that is forever banished to the sump he goes straight for any coral and eats it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back