Prepaid for 2 dragon pipefish at my LFS and I'm having second thoughts

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, looking for advice as to what I should do and whether or not I should go through with my purchase. I noticed that my LFS recently got in 2 dragon pipefish, about 4.5 inches long. The man working there has had experience keeping and breeding seahorses successfully so he gave me a few tips on top of what I had already learned in the past from working at a fish store. However, one of the pipefish was breathing very heavily and had a white patch on his back, and moving less than the other. I decided to wait a few days to see if it would recover.

I went back to the shop a few days ago and noticed that they had brought another pair in that looked much better, but I was having some issues with my sump so I wanted to wait just a little longer.

I went in today and the initial pipefish that wasn't doing well had died, and the second one started to show the same symptoms. The newer pair that they had brought in seemed fine, but now I'm not convinced as to the health of these pipefish. Should I give it another week like he recommended or should I use the money to go towards something else?

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not give it a week! Cant hurt and it seems like you are there frequently to check on them. Worst case ask for store credit. Just my thoughts!

I was just worried that maybe these fish don't ship well. I think I also heard him say that he's keeping them in copper, would that affect them? I know they don't have scales

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like to wait as long as possible before picking up fish from the lfs, that way you know they're survivors. But... Those are pod eaters and are probably not getting any food right now...

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like to wait as long as possible before picking up fish from the lfs, that way you know they're survivors. But... Those are pod eaters and are probably not getting any food right now...

Although I question his choices, he seems to know what he's doing. He has mandarinfish in copper as well and says he feeds them with live bottled pods daily. Sounds expensive, especially since I know his non-copper systems are filled with pods, but oh well.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
In my experience pipe fish are very hard to keep alive. They require multiple feeding a day as they have a stomach like a sea horse and can’t hold enough food like other fish that can go once or twice a day with feedings.
Also if you have a lot of flow- they struggle, they are slow so any aggressive fish can hurt or kill them easily. I really like these fish, but this is one that I personally think should stay in the ocean or go with a “fish parent” that has the time, knowledge and effort to give them the extra care they need.
Hope this helps. But I did same thing as you- got one and it died within a few weeks, would hate for you to get into something uninformed. But if you feel confident and it’s something you want to do then go for it (pipe fish probably has better chance with you then LFS) and once they are out of the ocean- they won’t make it back so it’s either you or someone else or death for those fish.
Good luck my friend. Take care

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
In my experience pipe fish are very hard to keep alive. They require multiple feeding a day as they have a stomach like a sea horse and can’t hold enough food like other fish that can go once or twice a day with feedings.
Also if you have a lot of flow- they struggle, they are slow so any aggressive fish can hurt or kill them easily. I really like these fish, but this is one that I personally think should stay in the ocean or go with a “fish parent” that has the time, knowledge and effort to give them the extra care they need.
Hope this helps. But I did same thing as you- got one and it died within a few weeks, would hate for you to get into something uninformed. But if you feel confident and it’s something you want to do then go for it (pipe fish probably has better chance with you then LFS) and once they are out of the ocean- they won’t make it back so it’s either you or someone else or death for those fish.
Good luck my friend. Take care

Thanks. I have the time and knowledge to care for pipefish, however I'm not satisfied with the condition that the first two arrived in and I'm worried that the other two will deteriorate as well, so I guess I'll use the payment as store credit instead and get a fish that I don't have to fuss over constantly. I already have a sea apple in my tank, no sense in stressing myself out even more!

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have the time and knowledge to care for pipefish, however I'm not satisfied with the condition that the first two arrived in and I'm worried that the other two will deteriorate as well, so I guess I'll use the payment as store credit instead and get a fish that I don't have to fuss over constantly. I already have a sea apple in my tank, no sense in stressing myself out even more!
Good choice. I have a similar situation. The town I live in only has 1 saltwater fish store. The next closest is 200 miles away. It would be nice for them to have the fish I want and in good health, but I just end up going there several times to make a good choice.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back