Prepping CaribSea LifeRock

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 40lb of LifeRock. Should I rinse / soak in RO/DI or saltwater before use? The tank is new and dry. I'll be rinsing & soaking the old VidaRock pieces I'm using, so I guess it wouldn't hurt, regardless

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received 40lb of LifeRock. Should I rinse / soak in RO/DI or saltwater before use? The tank is new and dry. I'll be rinsing & soaking the old VidaRock pieces I'm using, so I guess it wouldn't hurt, regardless
CaribSea LifeRock is purported to contain dormant microbes. I am not sure how much they'd like being soaked in freshwater, though at the same time a lot of people don't seem to exactly think the microbes supposedly do much. You can rinse/soak in saltwater, but I don't see a point to that either, given it is going into a new tank. Personally I'd just putting it, since it seems like a waste of time and saltwater to me. I am not entirely sure what the point of soaking the rocks in any type of water is.

OP
OP
Gort

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea LifeRock is purported to contain dormant microbes. I am not sure how much they'd like being soaked in freshwater, though at the same time a lot of people don't seem to exactly think the microbes supposedly do much. You can rinse/soak in saltwater, but I don't see a point to that either, given it is going into a new tank. Personally I'd just putting it, since it seems like a waste of time and saltwater to me. I am not entirely sure what the point of soaking the rocks in any type of water is.
That kind of what I was thinking. The saltwater soak for the VidaRock was recommended by the mfg long ago - same for its similar cousin, Aquaroche. They are extremely porous ceramic, probably to prevent any PO4 leaching

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also put mine straight into the tank...no issues. Also, I think the painted on bacteria is just a gimmick. I noticed no decrease in cycling time between this and normal dry rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back