Pressure inside Ca Reactor

Dingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem: CO2 is building up eventually leading to air locking my recirc pump.
I am thinking this is because I am pulling tank water under vac from tank, through the reactor, then to peristaltic pump. As CO2 is added it’s increasing the pressure and I have no idea what the vac/ pressure environment is doing inside the reactor over time as CO2 enters.
Is there a point where pressure or vac can cause CO2 to not dissolve well?
Before I go reversing a bunch of lines and switching the peristaltic pump to create a push environment, I want to make sure I’m not chasing my tail.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If co2 is building up, you are introducing too much of it to dissolve... or it cannot escape. Check your tune. My Korallin reactors are made to allow excess co2 accumulate at the top so that you can see if your tune is bad.

I use a push pump, which can overcome the minute amount of reactor pressure, so I am not sure about a peri pump, but they should be able to do this too. You can always just add a cheap pump like a MaxiJet, QuietOne 1200 or the line to the inlet side and keep the peri in place.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are pulling with a peristaltic pump, you will have minimal if any pressure above atmospheric in the reactor. The excess CO2 will just displace water back out the intake.

As Jda mentioned, you are probably just adding too much CO2 too fast and reaching saturation, where no more CO2 will dissolve within the water column (in the CaRx).

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running a vacuum in the reactor, it is possible that leaks are allowing air to ingress and build up in the reactor (which will not be absorbed). It may not actually be CO2 that is building up in the reactor. It is also possible that air is degassing from the water due to the negative pressure, but I think that is less likely as many people successfully run reactors with pull type arrangements that are likely creating a slight negative pressure.

OP
OP
Dingo

Dingo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are running a vacuum in the reactor, it is possible that leaks are allowing air to ingress and build up in the reactor (which will not be absorbed). It may not actually be CO2 that is building up in the reactor. It is also possible that air is degassing from the water due to the negative pressure, but I think that is less likely as many people successfully run reactors with pull type arrangements that are likely creating a slight negative pressure.
It was a leak in the reactor, introducing oxygen. Thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back