Choosing 2 part dosing

kken6217

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back into reefing recently. In the past I had always used calcium reactors. For me it was definitely set it and forget it. The results spoke for themselves.

However I don't want to go through spending for a good reactor, regulator, pump, CO2 etc, and am going to use 2 part.

I'm not looking to mix anything an just buy the Alk and Ca and use an online calculator. I remember years ago ESV 2 part was popular. Any suggestions as far as should use this or any other competing products?

Thanks.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Brs 2 part via a eco tech versa dosing pump and never had a problem. For my system All For Reef has been an absolute Saviour. It a all in one dosing solution, Alk, Cal and Mag with trace elements. It keeps my alk dead where i want it. i make adjustment to cal and mag if necessary. For my 25gal sps dom system it works fabulously. I also dont do waterchanges any more.
IMG_20240207_182504551.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

try looking through randy's threads and take your pick.

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Brs 2 part via a eco tech versa dosing pump and never had a problem. For my system All For Reef has been an absolute Saviour. It a all in one dosing solution, Alk, Cal and Mag with trace elements. It keeps my alk dead where i want it. i make adjustment to cal and mag if necessary. For my 25gal sps dom system it works fabulously. I also dont do waterchanges any more.
IMG_20240207_182504551.jpg
So you are dosing Brs 2 part and All for reef at the same time?

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are dosing Brs 2 part and All for reef at the same time?
yes and no. I don not use the alk portion of 2 part. I use the calcium and mag portion's of the 2 part system if my levels are low. AFR maintains alk very well, some times it cant keep up with the calcium and mag consumption in my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back into reefing recently. In the past I had always used calcium reactors. For me it was definitely set it and forget it. The results spoke for themselves.

However I don't want to go through spending for a good reactor, regulator, pump, CO2 etc, and am going to use 2 part.

I'm not looking to mix anything an just buy the Alk and Ca and use an online calculator. I remember years ago ESV 2 part was popular. Any suggestions as far as should use this or any other competing products?

Thanks.

ESV is a fine two part. Others are likely fine as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and no. I don not use the alk portion of 2 part. I use the calcium and mag portion's of the 2 part system if my levels are low. AFR maintains alk very well, some times it cant keep up with the calcium and mag consumption in my tank.

FWIW, AFR is a tiny bit over concentrated in calcium relative to alk. I cannot really see a scenario where it won't maintain calcium unless you are adding other alkalinity somehow (such as dosing nitrate).

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for esv, tried and true unless you have a big tank with high demand

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use seachem two part fusion 1 and 2, works great for me!

Just an fyi on Seachem Reef Fusion, it is not perfectly balanced for 1:1 dosing despite the claim, so just be wary of that. Not sure how that arose in that product, but it is surprising and a bit troubling, IMO.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using ATI essentials pro for a few years now, but been thinking about giving AFR a try.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an fyi on Seachem Reef Fusion, it is not perfectly balanced for 1:1 dosing despite the claim, so just be wary of that. Not sure how that arose in that product, but it is surprising and a bit troubling, IMO.
I got that lol, been using it for about a year and its usually a 2:1 ratio depending on what my levels test.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only negative of AFR in my experience in the past which depends on your tank specifically. I was using a 3L dosing container going thru it in about 45-47 days.

And I did try the AFR dry mix for a while, which is better in terms of cost, but I always had issues keeping my alk stable. Not sure if the powder mix can be inconsistent, which was all I could figure, but I never got a handle on it. The liquid bottles always seemed to be spot on.

At $40 a bottle, it just became cost prohibitive. Other than that, it's a quality product.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back