Pretty Powder Brown Tang

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3). Purchase some live macro algae from algae barn. Gracillia and ulva would be the two i would try. Feed like the nori attached to a piece of rock rubble.

This, it wants to graze on algae, I have managed to get 4 tangs eating at my lfs recently just by feeding them algae from their sumps.

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to try to get the fish besides what is already mentioned in that thread.

1). Take the nori sheet and rubberband on to relatively small piece of rock rubble. See if will eat of this. Before you add to the tank. Place the nori after attached in a small container of tank water. Add a few drops of vitamins. Let the nori suck this in.
This worked! I took a piece of rubble out of the sump and stuck some nori on it with a rubber band, he's been grazing on it all morning!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worked! I took a piece of rubble out of the sump and stuck some nori on it with a rubber band, he's been grazing on it all morning!
Great to hear!

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish eating at the store if you bought it online you'll never know that's why I don't buy fish online, add some garlic to the water it will spark appetite you can also try brine shrimp infused with spirulina if it's picking at algae in the tank it will survive but it won't thrive also too the size of your tank may matter these fish don't like to be cramped they like plenty of swimming room to feel comfortable

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish eating at the store if you bought it online you'll never know that's why I don't buy fish online, add some garlic to the water it will spark appetite you can also try brine shrimp infused with spirulina if it's picking at algae in the tank it will survive but it won't thrive also too the size of your tank may matter these fish don't like to be cramped they like plenty of swimming room to feel comfortable
It came from Live Aquaria Diver's Den, so not sure. The tank is 125 gallons and six feet long, so he has room to swim.

Waterislife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came from Live Aquaria Diver's Den, so not sure. The tank is 125 gallons and six feet long, so he has room to swim.
Tanks I should be fine definitely 6-foot is what you need for that fish unfortunately being an online fish you have no idea what that fish was doing before it came to you or what they were feeding or how they were feeding it so there is a bit of a challenge there don't listen to any hair harebrained ideas and how to get this fish to eat try garlic in the water garlic soaked food brine shrimp with spirulina maybe some lrs, rods,but in my opinion you've got to get this fish to eat the longer it goes without accepting food the harder it will be to get it to ever eat

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks I should be fine definitely 6-foot is what you need for that fish unfortunately being an online fish you have no idea what that fish was doing before it came to you or what they were feeding or how they were feeding it so there is a bit of a challenge there don't listen to any hair harebrained ideas and how to get this fish to eat try garlic in the water garlic soaked food brine shrimp with spirulina maybe some lrs, rods,but in my opinion you've got to get this fish to eat the longer it goes without accepting food the harder it will be to get it to ever eat
Totally agree. It's finally eating this morning after trying the suggestion of putting nori on a rock with a rubber band. It's been grazing on it for 2.5 hours now. I've tried the water soaked brine shrimp and several other foods too. Definitely going to pick up some LRS herbivore frenzy today too.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to try to get the fish besides what is already mentioned in that thread.

1). Take the nori sheet and rubberband on to relatively small piece of rock rubble. See if will eat of this. Before you add to the tank. Place the nori after attached in a small container of tank water. Add a few drops of vitamins. Let the nori suck this in.

2). when feeding add seachem entice, its a banana flavor additive that simulates the smell of rotting carcass to fish.

3). Purchase some live macro algae from algae barn. Gracillia and ulva would be the two i would try. Feed like the nori attached to a piece of rock rubble.

The reason new tanks and difficult fish often do not mix is because, difficult often has to do with feeding. New tanks lack the diversity of life to sustain them.

sorry to thread jack but what do you mean by a few drops of vitamins? Hadn’t heard that before and seems like a good idea.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to thread jack but what do you mean by a few drops of vitamins? Hadn’t heard that before and seems like a good idea.
Vitachem would be your commercial offering.

I took a little further, and make my own blend of amino acids and vitamins. Not particularly the most cost effective route lol.

I had bought supplies to test a few things, if qt survival rate increased and if i could effect aggression through diet. So have on hand.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call on the nori rubberband idea. That is how I tended to feed my rabbitfish and tang when they were being picky. I also did it instead of the clip so they had to pick on rocks and search for food. They loved it. All the fish did.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back