Preventing other nuisances after using Reef Flux

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA has exploded in my tank months after using Reef Flux for turf algae. A nutrient spike occurred after the die-off and I neglected the tank. Now GHA has taken a strong hold in my tank. I threw a ton of CUC at it but it is too far gone for them to do anything at this point. I cannot keep up with manual removal and cannot remove the rocks out of the tank since it is secured by glue in multiple places.

So I think I am going to dose Reef Flux again and do as many water changes as I can to keep nutrients from spiking. 2 years into my tank and I no longer can handle constantly battling explosions of nuisance algae, while I should be enjoying corals and a thriving reef.

Other than managing nutrients that result from the hair algae dissolving from the Reef Flux, how do I make sure it is successful this time and nothing else takes a hold?

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? Pictures of the current condition?

What is a ton of CUC? I find it takes a lot more than people think. Any urchins? How long has it been since adding them?

Adding chemicals is never my first choice. My tank is about 13 years old and there were many years where I neglected it, creating big algae problems. Over the years I tried most of the "quick fix" and "reset" ideas, and none of them worked for me long term. A little over a year ago I decided I would just dedicate myself to consistent regular maintenance, no disruptive actions, just a little bit of work in the right direction every week. The progress has been slow and steady (just like my actions), and I am very happy with the results. My humble little tank is looking better than it ever has. I still have problems to solve, but I can now see the potential, and doing the work does not feel like a futile effort. I have included a picture of my tank from about 15 months ago when I started my recovery, and one from just a few weeks ago, you be the judge.

About a month ago I stumbled across this video of Richard Ross's MACNA talk, there is some great info here about managing algae. (Also check out the REEF BEEF podcast)

Attachments

• Mess.jpg
    Mess.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Tank After.jpg
    Tank After.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank? Pictures of the current condition?

What is a ton of CUC? I find it takes a lot more than people think. Any urchins? How long has it been since adding them?

Adding chemicals is never my first choice. My tank is about 13 years old and there were many years where I neglected it, creating big algae problems. Over the years I tried most of the "quick fix" and "reset" ideas, and none of them worked for me long term. A little over a year ago I decided I would just dedicate myself to consistent regular maintenance, no disruptive actions, just a little bit of work in the right direction every week. The progress has been slow and steady (just like my actions), and I am very happy with the results. My humble little tank is looking better than it ever has. I still have problems to solve, but I can now see the potential, and doing the work does not feel like a futile effort. I have included a picture of my tank from about 15 months ago when I started my recovery, and one from just a few weeks ago, you be the judge.

About a month ago I stumbled across this video of Richard Ross's MACNA talk, there is some great info here about managing algae. (Also check out the REEF BEEF podcast)

I will definitely watch that video tonight. My tank has a 160ish gallon display. On top of whatever I added over the last couple years in snails, I added 50 more astreas, 10 emerald crabs, 50 more hermit crabs, I have two tuxedo urchins, nassarius have been in there, fighting conch, cerith snails, dwarf cerith snails, turbo snails.

Manual removal just is not working for me, and cannot/will not remove rock from the display that is fixed together more or less.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the results afterwards are from nutrient spikes, at least they weren't in my case. I think it's more caused by a lack or diversity. So whatever can take foot will, and the system is just more susceptible to takeover due to the chemical treatment.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the results afterwards are from nutrient spikes, at least they weren't in my case. I think it's more caused by a lack or diversity. So whatever can take foot will, and the system is just more susceptible to takeover due to the chemical treatment.

That is kind of what I was thinking at one point. How to promote diversity after dosing reef flux?

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kind of what I was thinking at one point. How to promote diversity after dosing reef flux?
I wish I knew. I just installed a temporary UV to battle my post Reef flux dinos. :( I wish it was as easy as maybe adding a bottle of Dr. Tim's and dosing some phyto while adding pods or something. If someone knew the answer it could/would be a huge breakthrough.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear yuh. I am just sick and tired of constantly trying to “fix” my tank. In the two years I had i truly have not been getting much enjoyment out of it. I just want to beat the algae and move on to corals.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 160 gallons I can see how manual removal is a chore. And your CUC seems OK sized.

One thing I did to promote corals winning over algae was focus on consistent parameters in a good range, most importantly salinity and alkalinity.

Reef Flux or any other "magic in a bottle" might have a temporary effect but if the routine practices stay the same, the end result will be the same. I tend to think biome diversity comes with time, and would be concerned that any chemical that knocks the algae back will also knock back a lot of other things.

... I wish it was as easy as maybe adding a bottle of Dr. Tim's and dosing some phyto while adding pods or something. If someone knew the answer it could/would be a huge breakthrough.

I hear yuh. I am just sick and tired of constantly trying to “fix” my tank. In the two years I had i truly have not been getting much enjoyment out of it. I just want to beat the algae and move on to corals.

I think these two statements highlight something important in this hobby. It seems that current information exchange in the hobby has lead both new and veteran reefers to the idea that if you can just hit the right numbers or add the right products then the magic starts to happen. I know I thought that way for a long time, but now I'm thinking its more about a combination of experience, patience and effort. Reefing is underwater gardening with lots of observing, nudging, tweaking, tending and waiting. I don't believe there is a formula or recipe that makes it set and forget. YMMV.

And I think it is important to note that any set of conditions in your tank that will support coral will also support algae. I don't believe you can "beat" algae, you can only manage it.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back