Fluconazole working?

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did a 20day single dose of reef flux. I didn't really see any effect so I jumped right into a double dose. It's been 8 days since I double dosed. I'm pretty sure it's working. The algae definitely does not look healthy. It stopped growing and the tips are turning white.
My question is: what do I do now? Should I let it die longer or should I stay removing? When it's time to remove it should I blow as much as I can off and scrub the rest? Will this spread it? Should I suction it out when it's time for a WC? My nutrients are decent at No3 15.1 and Po4 .o7. TIA
1000000292.jpg

1000000294.jpg

1000000293.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the middle of my own Flux dose. I haven’t brushed/scrubbed or tried to blow any and it’s been disappearing on its own.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next step is dealing with the cyano lol. The few time I used flux it was just a ping pong game of gha then cyano then gha rinse and repeat. Maybe I'm just unlucky or doing something wrong.. I have a tank I used flux in over a year ago and that what happened. The tank is still a mess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I'll just give it a couple more weeks. It's so tempting to scrub and blow it all off.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: pics below.
I definitely don't think the reef flux is working.
1st dose was a single dose for 20days.
2nd dose was double dose for 16days.
That's 36 days with no noticeable difference.
No3 15-18ppm. Po4 .04- .07ppm.
I haven't done a water change in over a month. Should I just go ahead and do a large water change and manual removal of the algae?
Yellow and, urchin, sea hare, trocus, Turbo and astrae won't touch this stuff. I've lowered my lights. Cut my feedings in half. I've come to the conclusion I'll just have to live with it.
1000000347.jpg
1000000346.jpg
1000000345.jpg
1000000344.jpg

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a mess with stuff that looks similar to yours. Good luck and I'll be following along so keep us posted.

I was contemplating trying fluconazole, but now I'll hold off. I keep trying to blow it off, siphon it out, etc. but tough to do with everything in the tank and tank and rockwork is too large to remove and scrub outside.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is a mess with stuff that looks similar to yours. Good luck and I'll be following along so keep us posted.

I was contemplating trying fluconazole, but now I'll hold off. I keep trying to blow it off, siphon it out, etc. but tough to do with everything in the tank and tank and rockwork is too large to remove and scrub outs
Man, I've tried everything. I even ripped clean the rocks and put in new sand that I rinsed out for a full day back in January when I replaced the tank. I bought dental tools and brushes, removed all the corals not encrusted, and used syringes with h20. Came back in less than a month. Nothing eats it. I can slow it down but it all continues to spread. I wish there was a lab I can send a sample in and get it identified.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following the above thread since it came out. I even commented on it today!

Just something to look at for the future. It seems to be a safer way to use fluc with the same results

ronsonb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was siphoning the Gha out during my dose. I found it got significantly weaker and I was able to just suck it off the rocks during water changes. It definitely worked for me but it took a few weeks.

Bubble algae on the other hand… that is just part of my reefscape at this point ha

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was siphoning the Gha out during my dose. I found it got significantly weaker and I was able to just suck it off the rocks during water changes. It definitely worked for me but it took a few weeks.

Bubble algae on the other hand… that is just part of my reefscape at this point ha
I may try this before the algae rebounds on me. Then maybe micro dose for a while.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I'll read that now.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on week ~7 of Dosing Flux RX (x2).... I'm still dealing with this **** but at least it's weaker.

I started with a full out GHA/Bryopsis forest. Couldn't get it off the rock if you tried.

After the first ~10 days, 80% of it was very clearly turning white/grey and dying off. I would say some was literally dissolving off. After 14 days I was able to manually remove a good bit.

But the more stubborn stuff was still there so I dosed again, and it seems like it's still growing back, but just much more brittle than it was 2 months ago.

Yesterday I did a ~15% water change and vacuumed out what I could and it looks much better overall, but still a problem I don't consider over with.

Nitrates have tested consistently around ~10-14 throughout. Phosphates have been all over the place. Before dosing they were consistently under .07... since dosing this stuff and removing the filtration (as recommended), I've tested it as high as .20, and then use lanthanum to bring it back down slowly.

This past week I also turned down the lights significantly and plan to keep them down for a while. I lost my few SPS coral frags around day 10. All LPS corals look fine still and hopefully will do fine with low lights for an extended period.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm on week ~7 of Dosing Flux RX (x2).... I'm still dealing with this **** but at least it's weaker.

I started with a full out GHA/Bryopsis forest. Couldn't get it off the rock if you tried.

After the first ~10 days, 80% of it was very clearly turning white/grey and dying off. I would say some was literally dissolving off. After 14 days I was able to manually remove a good bit.

But the more stubborn stuff was still there so I dosed again, and it seems like it's still growing back, but just much more brittle than it was 2 months ago.

Yesterday I did a ~15% water change and vacuumed out what I could and it looks much better overall, but still a problem I don't consider over with.

Nitrates have tested consistently around ~10-14 throughout. Phosphates have been all over the place. Before dosing they were consistently under .07... since dosing this stuff and removing the filtration (as recommended), I've tested it as high as .20, and then use lanthanum to bring it back down slowly.

This past week I also turned down the lights significantly and plan to keep them down for a while. I lost my few SPS coral frags around day 10. All LPS corals look fine still and hopefully will do fine with low lights for an extended period.
We are in the exact same boat. I did lose some sps frags also. Please keep me updated. I think I'm going to do a 20% water change and try to siphon out as much as possible and redose some flux.
Does anything eat your algae?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back