Preventing sand from making large piles?

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! The 40g breeder tank keeps piling sand up under two of the cave/ swim throughs and making the back left corner practically bare bottom. Anyone have suggestions on how to help prevent this? We’ve tried adjusting location and direction of the wave maker to no avail. Do we need to rescape? Or maybe add a second wave maker somewhere? Or is there a secret tip? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

1D570688-FBA2-4630-A1F4-5D51E7E438B4.jpeg
AEFE3D4E-3A4C-4723-B124-A3A639FD4135.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your powerheads about a third of the way down and point them slightly upward.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We tried that, do you think adding a second one would help? Currently there is only one and the relatively low flow from the sump outlet
It could help if it allows you to run both at a lower gph.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have true “sand” there, and so it might just be trial and error, and constant adjustments. If it keeps being annoying, you might want to do as most do and switch to a heavier substrate. (E.g., Caribsea aragonite aquarium sand.)

OP
OP
exalectric

exalectric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to have true “sand” there, and so it might just be trial and error, and constant adjustments. If it keeps being annoying, you might want to do as most do and switch to a heavier substrate. (E.g., Caribsea aragonite aquarium sand.)
We have the Caribsea Fiji pink in it currently

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm. It looked very fine (sandy). I’d have to research it again, side-by-side; either it’s quite a bit lighter than the aragonite, or you really have the power cranked up for that size tank. But you’ll make it work; maybe a second wavemaker where the flows collide against each other, instead of on the glass or sand. Best wishes! :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back