Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
>> for basically nothing.

not really for nothing. The risk was very very real, the hurricane just happened to change direction. Might seem like no big deal in hindsight, but it would be different if it had hot as predicted and a bunch of people were killed or injured.
Nobody was killed or injured here yet the hype was set to get everyone concerned way before there was a need. I live here when Hugo hit and there was less hype for that. Just saying

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody was killed or injured here yet the hype was set to get everyone concerned way before there was a need. I live here when Hugo hit and there was less hype for that. Just saying

It’s a cat4 Hurricane, there was no ‘hype’. Just because it didn’t hit right where projected, doesn’t make it any less dangerous.

Cat4’s have killed thousands of people around the world. Y’all got lucky it changed course AND there was an evacuation process.

When you’re evacuating 2 million people using literally a handful of freeways- how much time do you think is actually needed to evacuate? I’d argue that it was left maybe a day later than it should have been. The earlier you start getting people out, the smoother evac will go. Can’t just wait until the wind picks up to give 2 million people a ‘go’ command.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the original thread: There is a surprising lack of understanding of economics in most of these types of threads. Thank you to the folks taking the time to try to explain the driving factors behind cost. The only other thing I'd add to the conversation is that accessories are often priced at a higher margin to help offset lower margins on the main item you're trying to be competitive on.

Regarding hurricanes: I grew up in Florida and hurricanes were considered by most natives as overhyped and a chance to get together with friends and drink. "Hurricane Parties" were the norm. For us individuals that were living in South Florida at the time, hurricanes Andrew and Wilma changed all that. Being without power, gasoline, water and food for two weeks because you weren't prepared is no fun at all. I've since looked at hurricanes with a little more respect and don't fault anyone for being overly cautious anymore.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a cat4 Hurricane, there was no ‘hype’. Just because it didn’t hit right where projected, doesn’t make it any less dangerous.

Cat4’s have killed thousands of people around the world. Y’all got lucky it changed course AND there was an evacuation process.

When you’re evacuating 2 million people using literally a handful of freeways- how much time do you think is actually needed to evacuate? I’d argue that it was left maybe a day later than it should have been. The earlier you start getting people out, the smoother evac will go. Can’t just wait until the wind picks up to give 2 million people a ‘go’ command.
I don’t need a history lesson I was in one. As an adult I appreciate the storm info but not the relentless hype. No need to rant here!!

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't get it.

This thread is not about the driving force behind economics and costs.
I have a solid understanding here.

Understanding and agreeing stee two completely separate things.

Im a New Yorker and worked on Wall St for a short time.
The way our economy is run is scary to say the least.
I'ts run on greed fear for the most part. Fear is another driving factor.
Prices change dramatically for simple rumors.
Board members get paid millions while workers get peanuts.

Golden parachutes...
Only for the mega rich while everyone else gets screwed.

This thread is NOT about any of that!
It's simply a rant about prices being too high.

And for the record...

Prices ARE too high.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only think it matters if eshopps isn’t USA made, and it is being compared price wise to something that is made in the USA. It costs more to manufacture in the USA or Western Europe. That is a premium I am generally happy to pay.

Made in the good ol USA!

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's what a free market society is like.
That person that is selling nubs of a Walt Disney for $150 has more than likely spent a lot of time dialing in his system and spent a lot of money on lighting and equipment to be able to grow a desireable/difficult coral. Who knows how many corals that he/she lost to RTN, AEFW's or ALK swings before they finally got it right. There is a lot of investment that goes into high end corals. Over the four years that I've been in this hobby, I've really come to admire those people that can grow those difficult corals and have seen the dedication AND the heartache when they lose a nice colony or even a whole tank to a crash or pest. If you have a local Reef Club, join and be active in it if you are not already. Many of these seasoned coral veterans can be very generous and helpful with coral frags for others interested in the hobby. (or is it the same as a "dealer" getting someone "hooked" for cheap???) For those who don't want to pay that price or can't afford it, there are other corals out there that are still beautiful.
As for the acrylic fabrication.....that is something that I frequently do for my job and quality does come into play there. Material thickness', how are the joints prepared and glued/welded and design are all factors. Of course you can use buckets, rubbermaid containers and the like, but if you need something a certain size or you happen to like high quality and can afford it....then by all means buy the fancy 3 color acrylic dosing containers with the company's logo lasered into the tops.
Pricing will always be like this. It doesn't matter what the product......cars, homes. The more attractive, the brand, rareity, the more options, the higher the price. How many people are reading this on a $1000 IPhone but think $75 for a frag of Holy Grail Torch is ridiculous?
Your phone is a much better investment it’s an alarm clock,flashlight,compass, navigation, search engine,phone book, camera, recorder, t.v and countless other things. So having a good phone is worth it don’t believe my lose your phone or leave it at home. You will be lost

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Your phone is a much better investment it’s an alarm clock,flashlight,compass, navigation, search engine,phone book, camera, recorder, t.v and countless other things. So having a good phone is worth it don’t believe my lose your phone or leave it at home. You will be lost
a phone is not an investment at all.

OP
OP
Dj City

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sell almost anything in this hobby if you slap on a picture of a healthy Tang surrounded by beautiful corals.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a phone that I purchased, and I rarely leave the house without that phone. I am failing to see how those two things make it an investment.

By the definition of the word. You can invest in something that you don't plan on make financial gains from. It simply means to allocate something you have (money, time, effort, etc.) with the expectation of gaining something else (money, enjoyment, peace of mind/comfort). You can invest in something with neither end resulting in money being gained or loss.

But I think a better question is, why is this the most popular thread on R2R right now. I think it is time we put away the troll food....

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, not really. Even then prices are too high for what it is that you get.
If it’s availble elsewhere for less, get it elsewhere. If not and you don’t need it, don’t buy it. If you need or want it enough that you are willing to pay the price, sounds like the price is about right.

I don’t mean to be rude, but I don’t understand what makes people think they’re experts on what things should cost. We’re all experts on the things value to us and we’re experts on the money’s value to us.

What it “should” cost? That’s a mugs game.

Last edited:

Servillius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel prices for coral nubs are high because many people see it as an investment that they can grow, frag, and recover the cost. Prices for some frags stay high become many of these same people lose their investments. If a coral is great looking, easy to grow, and fast growing, it won't get a high price.

I don’t like big frags. I ask vendors to sell me their smallest frag. It’s true some get real small and there’s a size below which it makes them harder to keep alive, but that size is very small.

People looking for giant sps frags are missing the point. I never want to see the frag again. I want to see the new growth. If you get them growing well, the difference between a 1 inch and 2 inch frag is almost irrelevant, in some ways counterproductive.

U

User1

View Badges
Try being a pilot....a 7" GPS touch screen for a 60 year old plane is 20k before installation cost...you want a new autopilot also?! LOL...My buddy has a 6 seater (barely), single engine 45 year old A36 Bonanza. He is getting new avionics screens put in it. The bill is over $125k. It's a small market. Take GM or Ford for example. If they only sold 1000 units per year, their manufacturing procedures would be completely different. A Ford truck would cost 250k to manufacture. But they can spend millions on a single dash mold because that cost is split across millions and millions of trucks...Most people buy retail products where the manufacturing cost are spread across 2 million units. Niche, enthusiast driven markets like reef keeping aren't like that. When Ecotech gets 50k worth of new injection molds made, that cost is split across 2000 powerheads, not 2 million.

And that is why Ford can, and does, sell the GT for 450K... Of course after two years of ownership is is the only car on the market past, present, and future, that will carry a resell value of over 1.2 million judging by the most recent sell of 1.8 million. It is always about choices now that I look back on life. Some good, some bad, some not so wise, but always had a chance.

No regrets.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
High-tech ato container!!

20 gallon tank- free from a friend of mine.

"Custom" cover- leftover 1/2 cover from my 55gal kit, perfect fit btw.

Gorilla tape to seal the cover- maybe$.50.

Tunze top off kit- already had it.

Satisfaction of not paying$200.00 for a custom color matched ATO container- Priceless!!!
IMG_20180916_160950.jpeg

Back