Pricing coral

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is pretty full of green discosoma (or at least what I’ve always assumed were discosoma) and I’d like to trade/sell some locally. I don’t see them in the LFS for sale very often. I figure it’s because they aren’t worth much and they tend to do high end corals. My question is what would y’all consider a fair “dollar amount” to value them? I’m not trying to get rich or anything like that. Just curious what a fair going rate would be. I plan to offer them up in a local swap group or maybe ask my LFS if they’d be interested. I’ve had some weird interactions with local coral people who are so obsessed with fragging and $$$ so wanted some advice from folks here first.

Thanks y’all.

IMG_7526.jpeg IMG_7527.jpeg IMG_7528.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
Would you consider a single disc a frag, or a chunk of rock with a few disc?
Probably a minimum of one disc, but sometimes that isn't always possible. You're selling privately so generally you have to offer more for less.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ways of looking at this. First these aren't rare or desired mushrooms. They are a great starter coral and a great coral for people getting into the hobby.

You need to know what your local reefing area values things at. A previous poster said he/she thought $10/shroom was fair. In Los Angeles a frag disc with 10 of those would have a $10-15 value. Or more often would be given away with the purchase of a more valuable coral. Where you are in the world, and the size of your reefing community will determine the value.

Your other alternative is to pay it forward. Imagine if when you were just starting out and had sunk a bunch of cash into a box of water, if someone had offerred you a few mushrooms for free to get your reef started. Paying it forward to your local reefers is a great way to make some wonderful friends and do the hobby and reefing community some good.

My wife and I donate to beginners, school aquariums, first responders and vets all year long (we don't sell anything). Taking something that is prolific for us and sharing it with someone who can't afford, has suffered a crash or is just getting started is a pretty rewarding feeling. And you make some great friends along the way.

Dave B

OP
OP
Bpones

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ways of looking at this. First these aren't rare or desired mushrooms. They are a great starter coral and a great coral for people getting into the hobby.

You need to know what your local reefing area values things at. A previous poster said he/she thought $10/shroom was fair. In Los Angeles a frag disc with 10 of those would have a $10-15 value. Or more often would be given away with the purchase of a more valuable coral. Where you are in the world, and the size of your reefing community will determine the value.

Your other alternative is to pay it forward. Imagine if when you were just starting out and had sunk a bunch of cash into a box of water, if someone had offerred you a few mushrooms for free to get your reef started. Paying it forward to your local reefers is a great way to make some wonderful friends and do the hobby and reefing community some good.

My wife and I donate to beginners, school aquariums, first responders and vets all year long (we don't sell anything). Taking something that is prolific for us and sharing it with someone who can't afford, has suffered a crash or is just getting started is a pretty rewarding feeling. And you make some great friends along the way.

Dave B
I love this. I dearly wish I had a larger and more diverse reefing community where I live currently. Maybe I’m just not seeking them out. When I lived in CO I had more hobby friends and we’d all help each other out, lend/give old equipment to folks to get started, frag each other corals from our tanks to swap or just for fun.
After moving south I’ve only encountered folks who are all about turning this hobby into a side hustle. It’s put a bad taste in my mouth. I’ve had a few instances where things felt gross. Like seeing things I’ve given away/swapped immediately posted up for sale. Maybe I’m being too sensitive but I’m not into that kinda behavior so now I’m a little guarded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back