Pricing for Frostbite clownfish breeding pair

Bluenote

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always feel selfish asking a question that may only be relevant to my situation, but here I go...

I'm asking for assistance in pricing my pair of breeding Frostbite clownfish for sale. I don't know their exact age but I'm guessing about 3 years old. I've had them for about 9 months. They are both adult size about 3 inches long. They lay weekly clutches of around 100 eggs. I am interested in selling them because I don't want to prioritize the task and investment in raising the fry, yet I feel like it is the right thing to do. Hence, this is why I would like to sell them to someone that might be able to do so. The female is the one with more orange.

I appreciate your advice, wisdom, and time.

(I dont think its relevant, but wanted to call out that the tank environment where they live is not currently the same as in these photos.)

IMG_3143.jpg IMG_2975.jpg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I wonder if you could instead market yourself by selling the eggs instead? Here's some common sense criteria:

If they're breeding already, that ups the pricing for anybody who wants to breed fish. Somebody doesn't have to go through the process of growing out clowns to a breeding age/size.

If they're paired, that's another plus. While clowns are admittedly one of the easier species to pair, that's still an effort that a person who wants them, does not have to do. So up the pricing again.

Are you selling them locally? If so, have you factored in the costs of gas, time, and bagging up the fish?

Are you selling them online? Are you factoring in the costs of shipping materials, the cost to ship something heavy?

Figure out how much clowns sell for in your local area, as well as online. Do not sell for wholesale prices. What's the average cost for a single fish? Is there a market for them locally?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back