PRICY, SMALL AND FANCY, OR MODEST LOOKING CHEAPER REEF BUILDERS?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you guys prefer?

Super pricy ultras or modestly priced gems, oddballs or B&B's?

Honestly, just really curious. My bet is most people still desire the fanciest looking stuff with all the colors in the tips we can imagine. But it's like two completely opposing forces as far as this goes. Personally, Im just going to go ahead and say it. The hobbyist in me, is still happier with oddly enough, "average" looking corals that grow faster and fill in the spaces better with an emphasis on structure.. I will refer to a write up I did a while ago, that kind of emphasizes how coral really grows out to fill in these negative spaces in our tanks, and how the tank may appear from across the room. Vs nose stuck against the glass.

With this sentiment in mind, I would absolutely consider a nice big Stylo or even say a Birds nest, or nice digitats can really fill out a tank in a fantastic way, the article touches on all the little nuances that look great up close but just kind of disappear when you take a step back and look at the tank as a whole.

When encouraging reef building inside of a newer tank, a lot of times faster growing corals can really boost your confidence. Faster easier more forgiving corals can do wonders for the aqua scape as a whole. Now there is another write up I did that kind of contends this about tank crashes and how we can see them as a purge of some of the stuff we have grown tired of. So take this any way you want really. For me, I still always like the idea of a natural looking sps reef with nice sprawling colonies of varying species that will impress me more the farther away you step from it.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
although the price tag, in some cases, does correlate to the quality of the coral. i tend to enjoy the cheaper stuff more, just because i know i wont have issues growing it. the higher end, more difficult to keep stuff like speciosa, granulosa, etc is what i'm currently delving into. i start cheap, then work my way up as to avoid losing my investment due to not being familiar with its requirements (some SPS can do well in low light vs. other that NEED eye blinding levels of par to have good coloration IE: vivid's rainbow delight.)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
although the price tag, in some cases, does correlate to the quality of the coral. i tend to enjoy the cheaper stuff more, just because i know i wont have issues growing it. the higher end, more difficult to keep stuff like speciosa, granulosa, etc is what i'm currently delving into. i start cheap, then work my way up as to avoid losing my investment due to not being familiar with its requirements (some SPS can do well in low light vs. other that NEED eye blinding levels of par to have good coloration IE: vivid's rainbow delight.)
Totally good point. Another good point you touched on for sure, with modest stuff is it may not hurt as much if it doesn’t make it.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me prob something new.
I just emptied out my tank of acros ,birds ,montis ,favias ,chalices etc kept a few mostly because I did not want to get rid of anymore live rock and some I still really like. I was giving away 8 inch pieces o rainbow monti and dinner plate size cap and hollywood stunner. I just added back exactly the same thing minus the birds ( did keep 1 volleyball size piece of that. Im sure 2 years from now I will do the same and get rid of the majority of the stuff keep what turns into my new favs and repeat the cycle :p

But I should add growth pattern has been something that I look at more these days than in years past. Where it has always been color.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t mind the fast growing stuff when the tank was still younger but I have gotten to the point where I have some easy sps corals that have grown too large and I’ve had to break them off and throw them away (mostly birds nests). Now I care more about small and brightly colored corals. However, I am still incredibly cheap so I guess my official answer is I prefer moderately priced gems.

Top189h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the moderately priced stuff. I run mostly 6500k t5 bulbs, I'm never going to see the mix of colors on the tips of a coral. I also don't have to worry about losing too much money when stupid things happen, like my heater quitting last week and then the new one sticking on over night (not sure if it was the heater or monitor) getting the tank to 86 degrees on the same day and killing most of my montis, my stylos, and half of my acros.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn’t mind the fast growing stuff when the tank was still younger but I have gotten to the point where I have some easy sps corals that have grown too large and I’ve had to break them off and throw them away (mostly birds nests). Now I care more about small and brightly colored corals. However, I am still incredibly cheap so I guess my official answer is I prefer moderately priced gems.
Perfectly said my man:)

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shouldn’t be mutually exclusive. I have liked the quote oddball gems, and I have also liked more expensive, so called hyped corals. That said, I despise the quote small, tiny, microscopic AND ridiculously expensive pieces. I feel that regardless of price, hype, name, etc. that pieces should be chunkier. You for example, are honest, and have sent me some pretty freakin small frags….now before you or anyone gets mad….it was fully disclosed prior to sending them out under the premise that either you somehow sold out of a certain piece even though it was still available on the site or it was a replacement for a doa and you were out. In both situations you got a hold of me and asked for a sub or if a small freshie would be ok and also threw in something else just because you’re Adam. Fragging has definitely gotten out of hand. It’s like getting your name printed on a grain of rice at the fair sometimes, you need a freakin microscope….

Edit..I reread this and it sounded like I’m saying your frags are small in general. SO NOT THE CASE! They are always generously sized…especially in comparison to some others!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My preference is a good price with good color. It doesn’t have to be the latest and greatest rainbow whatever. I can make a rainbow in my tank with all the various colors of corals available

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a blend of mostly moderately priced gems with some high end acros. I definitely don’t like super tiny ultra expensive, takes forever to grow them.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With how long sticks take to grow, I like building my foundation of the tank (first 66% of the tank) with cheaper ones that are bigger. Then, as those grow I start adding in those nice pieces.

I put your blue light specials at the tip top, great PE can’t wait to see them color up. To answer your question directly I like a mix.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my tank right now is fast growers. I got most of my corals from local shows, and to be fair, the pieces I chose, where ones that caught my eye. I do have some regrets, like a Pocillopora that is in a place where I really want to put a tort, and it just spawned. So I can see it growing in other places in the tank. Fast growers also cause other issues like Nutrient depletion, which can be it own challenge. I also have some no name sps weird corals. Then there are the hammers and torches...
So basically I like challenges and to grow things...

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that I have a little experience, and a larger tank, I am starting to choose faster chunkier frags, even listing to spending the whole budget on a colony. I want to see the stuff rom across the room. and I want that view sooner rather than later. I can, down the road, get the rainbow doohickey that takes a year to establish then another year to double in size. but dang, a closeup picture looks hawt!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cheap and only do softies now but I’ve always liked natural looking corals. So modest gems are all I’ve ever done. I couldn’t imagine spending the kind of money that would make you cry if you lost it. Corals for me max price is $40 and $100 for a fish.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey thanks for all the comments! Certainly, a little mix of both is probably the best answer here. I can definitely understand that.

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my take on this. Your upscale microlados is under $100. This frag has turned into 2 super colonies in a few years. Love the crazy colored corals but the tried and true underrated corals through shine almost every time
IMG_1237.jpeg
IMG_1236.jpeg

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chunky frags are the best, and no one does oddballs and underrated gems better than @Battlecorals. I prefer a tank with grown-in colonies that turn the aquascape into a canvas rather than the "fruit stand" approach to displaying rainbow frags. Totally get the appeal of showcasing a collection and propagating corals, but nothing matches the beauty of SPS colonies.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here’s my take on this. Your upscale microlados is under $100. This frag has turned into 2 super colonies in a few years. Love the crazy colored corals but the tried and true underrated corals through shine almost every time
IMG_1237.jpeg
IMG_1236.jpeg
That's a great example man such an old classic that still does look super good. This guy in the old reef ready grape juice! I love and will always love like this. Are you getting the pink in the tips on yours too? Solid blue polyps?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will always prefer cheaper clunker varieties. The ultra bright colors are great, don't get me wrong, but (much to chagrin of my family) I prefer more muted, moderate colors with a focus on growth form. I stick with pastel reds and blues as my bright colors, green and tans as my accents. There is absolutely nothing better than the natural reef look with mostly tan coral with spotlights of brighter hues.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back