Prime Coral Stop RTN dip

Blinkdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone ever use this stuff before? Apparently it stops RTN and STN on SPS.

C00F9D24-3262-4D6B-B415-7C67E119C80A.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a real problem with this company that goes beyond the stuff in the long thread. At macna last weekend they had a tank with two blue ringed octopuses so they could make a stretched analogy about deadly ness of rtn (a big stretch). Not only were there two blue rings together, which almost always results in the death of at least one of the animals and is something you don’t do because you want them not to die, but there was nothing to prevent the octopuses from escaping through the overflow teeth, which were not octo-proffed in anyway. When this was pointed out to them, the response was ‘well don’t put your hand in the overflow, ha ha ha’. To which I said ‘you shouldn’t gamble with peoples lives’ and walked away. One looked dead by the end of Friday and I was told it was dead by Saturday. They booth was gone by Sunday so I was unable to follow up on the second animal.
I though a lot about posting about this or not, and decided I was morally obligated to post. Using live animals to pimp your product is fine if you do it responsibly. Animals are not disposable advertising props. This wasn’t responsilbe for the animals or people, and that is not ok - especially at a time when people are looking for reasons to litigate, close down, and make other problems for the hobby.
I was stunned and hope to never see such a thing again.
EDIT - This is not a failing on MASNA's part. Masna has policies in place to stop this and other bad stuff from happening, and if they had been told about it at the time I am sure they would have acted, as I have seen them act in the past. If you see anything bad at any show, say something then.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a real problem with this company that goes beyond the stuff in the long thread. At macna last weekend they had a tank with two blue ringed octopuses so they could make a stretched analogy about deadly ness of rtn (a big stretch). Not only were there two blue rings together, which almost always results in the death of at least one of the animals and is something you don’t do because you want them not to die, but there was nothing to prevent the octopuses from escaping through the overflow teeth, which were not octo-proffed in anyway. When this was pointed out to them, the response was ‘well don’t put your hand in the overflow, ha ha ha’. To which I said ‘you shouldn’t gamble with peoples lives’ and walked away. One looked dead by the end of Friday and I was told it was dead by Saturday. They booth was gone by Sunday so I was unable to follow up on the second animal.
I though a lot about posting about this or not, and decided I was morally obligated to post. Using live animals to pimp your product is fine if you do it responsibly. Animals are not disposable advertising props. This wasn’t responsilbe for the animals or people, and that is not ok - especially at a time when people are looking for reasons to litigate, close down, and make other problems for the hobby.
So this company is effective at killing corals and now octopus’s

lonelyfloat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, as a huge ceph enthusiast I agree.

MurrmansReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a sample of this product at Macna 2019. When I got back to Colorado I used it on the easy $1000 of sps I bought at MACNA. Like an idiot.... It is all now either dead or has lost all its color even the gonipora I dipped stopped opening the day after dipping. SPS all slowly lost all of its color after being dipped over the course of 3 days. Attached is a picture of one of the few survivors WWC pink passion which was happy and bright pink right before the dip.

BA817C4E-4968-4E7B-AFF4-D03C316128A3.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this whole topic is interesting and I wish I had the time to read through that long thread but I don’t and won’t waste my time. I didn’t learn anything from the bits I read even though they said they are there to inform and teach us about these “parasites”. I skimmed and got a kick out of a few things but I find it hard to believe this product is the cure all for ANY necrosis. I also don’t believe these parasites are something we need to be concerning ourselves with unless death is spreading in a tank at a crazy rate, sure try it if you want but I won’t. If the parasites are in every tank even with no rtn, we just need to keep our corals from getting stressed is what that tells me.
I have had success beating rtn multiple times by making sure all death was cut out asap and the tank was stable as possible. I have never thought about using something like this.
Also I have seen corals in my tank turn to necrosis and I have given them to friends where they recover in the friends tanks. If every necrosis is a parasite why did the coral not die in my buddies tank even with no dip? I have done this many times over.
Did anyone do any tests with this product? The price is absurd and really makes me wonder.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a sample of this product at Macna 2019. When I got back to Colorado I used it on the easy $1000 of sps I bought at MACNA. Like an idiot.... It is all now either dead or has lost all its color even the gonipora I dipped stopped opening the day after dipping. SPS all slowly lost all of its color after being dipped over the course of 3 days. Attached is a picture of one of the few survivors WWC pink passion which was happy and bright pink right before the dip.

BA817C4E-4968-4E7B-AFF4-D03C316128A3.jpeg

Sorry to hear you fell for it. I was given a sample and tried it, only to still lose everything I tried to dip.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT - This is not a failing on MASNA's part. Masna has policies in place to stop this and other bad stuff from happening, and if they had been told about it at the time I am sure they would have acted, as I have seen them act in the past. If you see anything bad at any show, say something then.

Do you know if MANSA has implemented anything for the upcoming show next month in Chicago ?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it on Acropora and I bet you’ll get a different result
That may indeed be the case. I've used it exclusively on chalice, scoly and blastos. Those little SOB philasters where very apparent at 40x and the stuff really knocked their populations down to zip. It also knocks the crap out of flatworms and all mannor of stuff that comes in on wild colonies. Maybe a protocol that utilizes a little less of the dip and some antibiotics would do the trick.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this whole topic is interesting and I wish I had the time to read through that long thread but I don’t and won’t waste my time. I didn’t learn anything from the bits I read even though they said they are there to inform and teach us about these “parasites”. I skimmed and got a kick out of a few things but I find it hard to believe this product is the cure all for ANY necrosis. I also don’t believe these parasites are something we need to be concerning ourselves with unless death is spreading in a tank at a crazy rate, sure try it if you want but I won’t. If the parasites are in every tank even with no rtn, we just need to keep our corals from getting stressed is what that tells me.
I have had success beating rtn multiple times by making sure all death was cut out asap and the tank was stable as possible. I have never thought about using something like this.
Also I have seen corals in my tank turn to necrosis and I have given them to friends where they recover in the friends tanks. If every necrosis is a parasite why did the coral not die in my buddies tank even with no dip? I have done this many times over.
Did anyone do any tests with this product? The price is absurd and really makes me wonder.
I have done a bunch of testing with it and have found it works well on stopping white out on chalice. I've also had very good luck treating scoly, blasto and trachy with the stuff. I buy a lot of wild LPS and typically they are polluted with all sorts of bugs, if you don't quickly get a handle on them your looking at trouble. My experience is that the dip is very effective at knocking out sorts of stuff, not only philaster. You really do need a low powered microscope to see just how many bugs are running all over the place and the absence of them post dipping.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre Mueller did a write up a while back based on a study of the bacterial fauna found in the corals "slime" and its association with RTN/STN.
As well as the use of witch hazel to combat it

Here is the study he linked to

Back