pro or classic TM?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know which Tropic Marin salt would be best for a small 14g LPS nano tank? The Pro reef has lower alk but higher levels of mag and cal, the classic has higher alk but lower mag and cal, the Pro reef also recommends it is used with a calcium reactor which I don’t have and don’t have room for, so is my only option the classic?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know which Tropic Marin salt would be best for a small 14g LPS nano tank? The Pro reef has lower alk but higher levels of mag and cal, the classic has higher alk but lower mag and cal, the Pro reef also recommends it is used with a calcium reactor which I don’t have and don’t have room for, so is my only option the classic?
You could use either, they mainly recommend using a ca Rx or dosing with the PRO because it’s closer to NSW levels and if you don’t dose in a way it could drop too low.
I’d probably go with the pro since it’s a bit cheaper and you could get away with only doing water changes and not dosing with a low demand tank

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use either, they mainly recommend using a ca Rx or dosing with the PRO because it’s closer to NSW levels and if you don’t dose in a way it could drop too low.
I’d probably go with the pro since it’s a bit cheaper and you could get away with only doing water changes and not dosing with a low demand tank

Do you mean go with "Classic"? I think classic is actually ~10% cheaper

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mostly LPS & softie tank. So I chose to switch over to TM Classic. I can not comment on if this is a good idea though, as I am still using up my remaining Fritz blue box.

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should probably also mention, the reason I chose Classic was that my CA & MG are stable, but alk does get consumed by my tank at ~0.15 / day. So the classic gives me a bit more buffer in alk in case I miss a few manual doses

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The classic seems at the bottom of the range for both cal and mag, just getting into corals so no idea how much of these they use a week, so would a 10% water change replace what is used or would I likely need to dose too? For an LPS nano tank.

I guess the question is what is easier to dose if water changes aren’t enough? is it easier to dose alk if I went for the pro or mag and cal if I went with the classic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are but they will absolutely sustain lps and the like. Supplemental dosing dosing won’t hurt though. Just make sure you find a good rhythm to avoid large swings.

Thanks, just trying to cover all bases don’t fancy changing salt if I get it wrong, I guess the higher alk in the classic is there because it’s used at a greater rate, looks like it’s the classic for me then.

OP
OP
Reef.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choose to go the sps route I personally recommend the pro. That’s what I use in my mixed reef but my nutrients are at the low end so I run my alk around 7 anyway. That said I do monitor and adjust my Neptune dōs accordingly to avoid severe drops.

I guess I will at some point but no plans yet, swapping from the classic to the pro with being the same brand I wouldn’t think would be an issue if done slowly?

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back