OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted a cover to keep the 'Smart' fish from sailing off into space. I went on the DIY forums because everyone has an idea on how to make something. I went to Home Depot and and bought the screen, aluminum, Twizzlers to hold it and the corners. Brought it all home and started working on it...
So my really cool looking light fixture mount sits on the tank and I have to get around it and the center overflow is level with the top edge of the tank so have to get around that as well. I made all the inner corners and put a brace down the middle. All good. Or so I thought. The Stupid things flaps like a bed sheet on a clothesline. I cringe when I remove it cuz I know front, back, side or all of it is going for a swim. But hey, I got a great deal on it and I did it myself. Tomorrow I'll use a magnet to find the clip for the center brace that fell in when I tried to do a water change today.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to be obedient here so here’s an update on my SCA 150 acro frag dominant.
The acros all went in January and February of this year.
Here are some current pics
The tank is lit by two Kessil ap9x’s and two Orphek blue bars which come on for two hours at night.
These pics are with the Orphek only.

Attachments

• 5239220D-9573-4CA0-8562-E918A6A9CB81.jpeg
    5239220D-9573-4CA0-8562-E918A6A9CB81.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 56
  • D9CA363A-C6C0-4618-A7F7-CE1E6BCC90DF.jpeg
    D9CA363A-C6C0-4618-A7F7-CE1E6BCC90DF.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 43F429D7-437E-47D9-A246-D6402086FC67.jpeg
    43F429D7-437E-47D9-A246-D6402086FC67.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 12E3BAC8-D5AF-4D72-8976-6E50F6488C40.jpeg
    12E3BAC8-D5AF-4D72-8976-6E50F6488C40.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 52
  • E9BAA40C-BF1C-4D03-9986-46CA9CADBDB1.jpeg
    E9BAA40C-BF1C-4D03-9986-46CA9CADBDB1.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 72

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I also have one of those green dot things you have in the center there, and mine has gotten to be about that big as well. I guess maybe it's a chalice, I forget what corals are called too easily.

Anyway, I noticed yours has little places where it's broken off as well. Are you able to determine the cause?

I made a little change on my 230 about a week ago that I'm glad I did. I'm not sure if the 200 has the same setup, but the 230 has 6 filter sock holes in it's sump. I cut a piece of glass last week to cover up 4 of the holes, so now I'm down to 2 socks and I'm much happier.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I also have one of those green dot things you have in the center there, and mine has gotten to be about that big as well. I guess maybe it's a chalice, I forget what corals are called too easily.

Anyway, I noticed yours has little places where it's broken off as well. Are you able to determine the cause?

I made a little change on my 230 about a week ago that I'm glad I did. I'm not sure if the 200 has the same setup, but the 230 has 6 filter sock holes in it's sump. I cut a piece of glass last week to cover up 4 of the holes, so now I'm down to 2 socks and I'm much happier.
Hello mind, good to hear from you it's been awhile. Yes the Chalice has grown out of control. I had to move some rocks and reposition them in order to accommodate for growth and TRY to keep them from aggressively harming each other. I also physically removed some slower growing corals which were being overtaken and or shadowed by the faster growers. In so doing I chipped them up a bit.
As far as a name goes, It was sold to me by WWC as a Hollywood Stunner Chalice in July 2020 and was the size of a nickel.
I'm working with three 4" socks. Seems adequate.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello mind, good to hear from you it's been awhile. Yes the Chalice has grown out of control. I had to move some rocks and reposition them in order to accommodate for growth and TRY to keep them from aggressively harming each other. I also physically removed some slower growing corals which were being overtaken and or shadowed by the faster growers. In so doing I chipped them up a bit.
As far as a name goes, It was sold to me by WWC as a Hollywood Stunner Chalice in July 2020 and was the size of a nickel.
I'm working with three 4" socks. Seems adequate.

Yeah, mine also started out about the size of a nickel, and now it's easily 6 inches across. I also just switched methods on my tank and it's started to grow even faster now, gaining an inch around the entire thing in less than 2 months.

I've noticed the occasional chip here and there. I was thinking maybe a fish did it, but never saw what exactly was the cause.

I'll try to remember the name this time, because that is certainly it.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine also started out about the size of a nickel, and now it's easily 6 inches across. I also just switched methods on my tank and it's started to grow even faster now, gaining an inch around the entire thing in less than 2 months.

I've noticed the occasional chip here and there. I was thinking maybe a fish did it, but never saw what exactly was the cause.

I'll try to remember the name this time, because that is certainly it.
Care to share the methods? Sounds like you're onto something with that kinda growth.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to share the methods? Sounds like you're onto something with that kinda growth.

It's just the reef moonshiner method for replacing trace elements. I've only been on it for about 3 months and I'm thrilled with the results so far.

Even beyond the growth, it adds a good bit of color, more so to SPS. I don't have much SPS in my tank, but I have an orange digitata for example, and the orange polyps are still about as orange as they were previously, but the green under the orange polyps was very pale previously and is very vivid now.

Others have amazing SPS tanks. I was never into SPS that much because I like to have a little movement, but after seeing how "furry" some of their SPS with the polyps extended so much, I'm really thinking about getting more. They look amazing.

Fair warning: Not cheap. It was about $400+ investment to get all the elements, you need to do ATI ICP tests every month for a few months starting out(I've done them every month so far, but I'm about to skip towards every other month). Overall right now I'm estimating it to be about $50-$60 a month on my 230, but it's hard to tell exactly. The first month I used way more elements, but it's started to slow down now that I've gotten those levels up it seems.

And you need to be able to dose some elements daily, while some elements only get dosed about once a month. Only takes me a few minutes.

There are other methods that replenish trace elements that may work just as well, haven't tried them all. I like this method because it allows me to dose for each individual element as needed, rather than bulk dosing trace elements based on water volume and hoping for the best.

You can download the handbook for free and read it.

Good interview with the guy who created it:

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the reef moonshiner method for replacing trace elements. I've only been on it for about 3 months and I'm thrilled with the results so far.

Even beyond the growth, it adds a good bit of color, more so to SPS. I don't have much SPS in my tank, but I have an orange digitata for example, and the orange polyps are still about as orange as they were previously, but the green under the orange polyps was very pale previously and is very vivid now.

Others have amazing SPS tanks. I was never into SPS that much because I like to have a little movement, but after seeing how "furry" some of their SPS with the polyps extended so much, I'm really thinking about getting more. They look amazing.

Fair warning: Not cheap. It was about $400+ investment to get all the elements, you need to do ATI ICP tests every month for a few months starting out(I've done them every month so far, but I'm about to skip towards every other month). Overall right now I'm estimating it to be about $50-$60 a month on my 230, but it's hard to tell exactly. The first month I used way more elements, but it's started to slow down now that I've gotten those levels up it seems.

And you need to be able to dose some elements daily, while some elements only get dosed about once a month. Only takes me a few minutes.

There are other methods that replenish trace elements that may work just as well, haven't tried them all. I like this method because it allows me to dose for each individual element as needed, rather than bulk dosing trace elements based on water volume and hoping for the best.

You can download the handbook for free and read it.

Good interview with the guy who created it:

Thanks for the detailed response on the Moonshine method. I’ve read a bit on it and watched a couple YouTube videos. Two drawbacks I see are as you mentioned cost and it seems a bit more involved?
I will read up on it as it may be something I’d consider down the road for my ACRO tank
As it stands I’m dosing 2 part and using Coral Amino. I’m getting a fair amount of growth and very minimal losses which I’m happy with.
SPS have been in the display since January and just about all are either growing out or encrusting.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response on the Moonshine method. I’ve read a bit on it and watched a couple YouTube videos. Two drawbacks I see are as you mentioned cost and it seems a bit more involved?
I will read up on it as it may be something I’d consider down the road for my ACRO tank
As it stands I’m dosing 2 part and using Coral Amino. I’m getting a fair amount of growth and very minimal losses which I’m happy with.
SPS have been in the display since January and just about all are either growing out or encrusting.

Yeah, but I don't find the more involved part to be an issue. It's only a few extra minutes a day. However, for people who don't have the schedule freedom I can see where it could be an issue because it's every day.

And I certainly don't consider it a requirement by any means. I was getting decent growth and no losses without it as well. I'm happy so far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back