Probably an issue.

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would you say I'm correct for going into panic mode? Noticed these gaps today after feeling the center brace vibrating. They may, or may have not been there from the start. I may have over looked it when installing?

I placed the paper inbetween as far as it could go. Some pictures show the gaps between the stand and the wooden board, while others are wooden board to tank.

Anyway. This may be my panic talking, but it all feels like it will fall apart. If I grab the leg of the stand, and give it a shake, it agitates the water surface... and I am not that strong.

To make it a little more interesting, there is about 150 gallons of salt water inside the tank. :)

So. In your experience, tear down and start over?

20190824_181946.jpg 20190824_182005.jpg 20190824_182048.jpg 20190824_182115.jpg 20190824_182214.jpg

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could become an issue. Hate to say but I think I would find a tub or something I could put the water & stuff in & recheck everything with a level. I have a piece of the pink Styrofoam between my acrylic tank & the stand Plywood on top. Better to be safe.

OP
OP
MeanGull

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily, there is nothing inside the tank other than dry rocks, sand, and water. It's been cycling for two weeks now. The gaps are only wide enough for a single sheet of paper. Which still doesnt make me feel any better. So yeah, I think I'm going to roll up my sleeves, dump the water and start all over again. :) Blah, just when I thought I was done shimming and put the darned car jack away (luckily everything else is still there on the floor LOL)...

Otherwise, the water line is still perfectly level; which is a nice illusion of safety. The problem, I think, despite it being level the tank isnt resting on the stand properly.

P.S. Just to clarify, my center brace is the thin plastic trim going diagonally on top of the tank.

OP
OP
MeanGull

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reefers in your area to help out. if so let them now. lol

I have no clue? I kind of live in the boonies of Vancouver area in Canada. So probably not a whole lot. This is why I used 2x4s and a car jack to lift and level the whole thing previously.

OP
OP
MeanGull

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rum a straight edge across the stand before the tank went up? Maybe it wasnt welded flat?
I wish I did to be honest. Unfortunately, I was overly excited when it finally arrived and instead put it all together. I think the problem here is poor shimming despite the tank being level. My suspicion is that the middle shims might be a tad bit taller than the left side's throwing the whole thing off balance. But of course, Ive been wrong a few times in the past. Many times?

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I did to be honest. Unfortunately, I was overly excited when it finally arrived and instead put it all together. I think the problem here is poor shimming despite the tank being level. My suspicion is that the middle shims might be a tad bit taller than the left side's throwing the whole thing off balance. But of course, Ive been wrong a few times in the past. Many times?
It could be. I'd drain the tank and start over. Better than having the glass snap later down the line

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is nothing in the tank except sand and rock I might try and drain out water into a trash can or whatever you have, remove the rocks, and then try and slip a piece of foam under the tank. Likely 1/4 piece should do it and will distribute the weight. Once you're sure its level and flat, replace the rocks and pump the water back in. I would just err on the side of caution now before you have tank full of fish and corals.

OP
OP
MeanGull

MeanGull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice. I've drained the water last night. Going to fix the issue today. Glad I went that route, as it seems much easier than mopping the water and keeping fish in buckets...
Thanks again. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.0%
Back