Probably shouldn’t have but what are my chances?

OP
OP
Huff747

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like adding some phyto in hopes of boosting my pod populations in my tank anyway. And the tank this particular clam is in at the moment is a fishless coral and invert QT tank, although it does have a few snails and so I do feed the tank occasionally with some extra algae or maybe a little bit of frozen food for a couple nassarius snails. And the tests show it has both nitrate and phosphate so it should be good to go with nutrients but I don't think adding phyto is going to hurt anything and hopefully it keeps the pods going as well.

Here's an updated picture. The mantle is definitely more well extended then it was and I really like the colors. Pardon the dirty glass, since this is my invert QT tank I don't scrape it very often so the entire thing has lots of coraline and some film algae as you can tell.

IMG_6073.jpg

OP
OP
Huff747

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well the clam has perished. I actually thought he was looking better and better but when I came home from work yesterday he was closed up as tight as when I brought him home, when I checked later he was semi-open and not responsive and color was gone. Not sure what happened but I knew it was risky with a clam that small that wasn't exactly open from the beginning. Maybe sometime I try again. Thanks everybody for the help.

OP
OP
Huff747

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dang...

A.

Yeah, I thought maybe it had made it long enough that it was going to make it. I think if/when I try again I'll try to find a decent squamosa so I can keep it on my sandbed. Not sure I want to try dersa just because I think they get the biggest. But I don't really want to spend hundreds either so it may not happen as it seems the colorful squamosa are some of the most expensive clams.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back