Probe Cleaning

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all my years of Reefing, I've never had a tank operational long enough to need to worry about cleaning probes. My 340 gallon display is running on my 10 year old apex classic. I replaced both the lab grade ph and temp probe when I started this tank up (they had been in cold storage for 2 years). The probes are around 4 years old.

I'm questioning the validity of the readings now as my ph won't go above 8.0 and 6- 12 months ago it was consistently as high as 8.4.

There's all kinds of white calcium build up on the inside and outside of the probe. Rather than spending a $100-$150 to replace it, is there an option to soak it in vinegar or citric acid to get the white calcium things off and then calibrate it with calibration solution?

I was thinking RODI Water and vinegar or citric acid? Or will that damage the ph probe? I'm thinking the temp probe would be fine to do that with, it's coated in the same white things.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally replace mine after about 3 years just due to drift in the readings. You can clean them with a vinegar solution, though. Just needs to be calibrated after.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally replace mine after about 3 years just due to drift in the readings. You can clean them with a vinegar solution, though. Just needs to be calibrated after.
After just a few months I've got algae and even some sponge growing on my probes. Could you describe in more detail how to clean them.

Back