Probe life: storage solution vs pH buffer solution

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

WilliamJohnCIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any long-term drawbacks to using pH buffer solution rather than electrode storage solution in the cap of my Hanna pHep+ Pocket pH Tester? It would be great if someone from Hanna could weigh-in on this.

When I first got my tester, I used buffer solution since it was what I had on hand. I later switched to electrode storage solution; however, I've now found that regardless of how I store the tester or its protective case, a crystalline residue will inevitably spread throughout the inside of the case and all over the tester itself. Also, if you happen to have any cuts on your hands, the storage solution stings like a beast (not that I would generally recommend pouring specialized chemicals into an open wound, just saying).

If there is a negligible difference in terms of the lifespan or calibration of the probe, I think I'd prefer to switch back to buffer solution. Any thoughts?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the answer. I did work in a lab where we used probes regularly and we also rinsed them with rodi water before and after use with a little squirt bottle. I vaguely recall the storage solutions having a residue too, but the rinsing may have kept it at bay, but I’m not entirely sure.

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. No answer to this? I got one of these pH checkers with the storage solution and it does the same. Put a little bit in the bottom of the cap, put the cap on, and the storage solution leaches out of the cap and crystalizes all over the place, RAPIDLY. Like in less than a week it will all be out of the closed cap and the probe is once again dry. They say just put it back in the solution for an hour and it'll be ready to go again but then you wonder if it's still calibrated. I never know if I'm off by a couple tenths unless I re-calibrate which means have a large supply of calibration solution on the side which I currently don't have. So it becomes not a ""grab and test whenever" checker that I thought I was getting.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probe storage solution is potassium chloride.
Get a good ph unit.
The probe can be sealed in the storage solutuon and never evaporate or leaks.
Ph pens can not be sealed so you will just have to add it from time to time.
Here is my stand alone probe.
20200322_101937.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back